News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hershey vs. Carlisle

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, July 16, 2018, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

Glenn Brown and I are considering going to fall Carlisle this year rather than Hershey, just to try something different. Can those of you who have been to both, give us your opinions? Thanks!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hershey will have a far greater array of what you'd enjoy seeing is my guess. Carlisle does not have a dedicated car show, just the cars for sale in the car corral are on display. All cars at Hershey are supposed to be a minimum of 25 years old whether in the corral or to participate in the [Saturday] show while at Carlisle there are no age requirements for vehicles placed in the car corral.

Hershey also requires all vehicles to be in essentially stock condition including wheels and tires which again, applies to both show vehicles & car corral whereas Carlisle allows modified vehicles, of which there are many. 

I haven't been to Carlisle in many years as it had increasingly tilted to towards late model/modified and away from "vintage" stock and Cadillacs generally are definitely few and far between at Carlisle.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

harry s

Lars, Carlisle may have a couple Cadillacs for sale in the car coral or auction but you will be hard pressed to find any parts. Maybe an occasional Cad part mixed in with the Chevy & Ford vendors. Martin Blazinsky was the last dedicated Cadillac parts vendor that I am aware of at Carlisle. Also as Eric points out there is not a related show.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Forgot to mention there are some rather steep grades in the car corral area at Carlisle.

Going through is more of a hike than a walk.

Jeff Hansen

Lars,

One day is all it will take you to see everything at Carlisle.  Harry and Eric have it covered in their replies.  The vast majority of parts and cars are all post-WW II.  Little to no pre-war parts or cars and, as mentioned, very heavy on Ford and Chevrolet.  Many specialty companies (Steele Rubber, etc.) also have trailers set up to vend.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Steve Passmore

Our group pilgrimage across the pond to Carlisle and Hershey began in the 70s. Through the years there was less and less really old stuff at Carlisle so we stopped visiting there and just concentrated on Hershey around 1987. I imagine it's even newer stuff there now.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

GBrown #8092

I haven't gone to Carlisle since the late 80's.  My recollection was there was a pretty good number of vendors there, about on par with some of the large Regional shows, Jefferson (fka as Little Carlisle) in Wisconsin comes to mind.  Though not as big as Iola, and is anything as big as Hershey.  I did note there were a significant number of empty vendor spaces pm Saturday and on Sunday but chalked it up to early departures. I do recall that there was a very large selection of cars for sale, predominately postwar, but most were nice driver or better, quality cars.

Since my newest car is currently a 1957,  I thought it might be a better or at least similar venue to find things, which is why I raised the question with Lars.

I just want to make sure we're talking about the Fall Carlisle meet, they're claiming 8100 swap spaces and 2000 corral spaces v Hershey at 9000+ swap spaces and several hundred corral spaces.  I note that there are multiple the marque events throughout the year in addition to the Fall which I would expect to be smaller.

And for those of you have have gone to the marque events are any of them worth an overnight trip?

Glenn

I will say that if you find a Cadillac at Carlisle, chances are it'll be priced much more favorably than the same Cadillac at Hershey and it wasn't unusual to see cars for sale in the Hershey Car Corral that had been sold at Carlisle the prior week. Still probably going on today.

Speaking from my own experience, I had bought 3 Cadillacs at Carlisle in the early to mid '90s but I've never been able to buy a car at Hershey. By the early 2000s, I finally gave up going to Carlisle as the selection had noticeably changed to progressively later model cars along with interesting Cadillacs becoming fewer and further between.

That's not to say there may won't ever be a few nice Cadillacs here and there but most will probably be 1990s models or later. Postwar models through the '60s will likely be in much, much shorter supply at Carlisle than at Hershey.

fishnjim

I used to live over that way for awhile and went to both.  I grew up hearing about Hershey and Carlisle and was disappointed, so I'm biased.   I don't think I'd go back to either unless I was specifically looking for something not found elsewhere/meet a vendor for pickup.   Most put a "premium" on their vehicles/wares at these big sales, and can buy lower, when not at big show.   Exception being the last day/closing/packup - maybe, like most meets.   By far Hershey was not a one day visit.   Auctions are iffyer when more buyers present.