News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Trunk Wont Open, Pull-Down Continues to run

Started by Mossman747, July 17, 2018, 09:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossman747

Hello All,

I am a first time poster here.  I have just acquired a 1976 Eldorado Convertible, It is the second I have owned, my first one was my first car when I was in high school and I sold it about 15 years ago.  I have always wanted another one and just now had one delivered.  To my dismay, I am having an electrical problem that has me stumped.  The trunk will not open with the key or the button and if I go to the back and listen I can hear the motor of the trunk pull down engaging for a few seconds and then disengaging.  When I test the wires on the switch in the glove box I get 12 volts from EACH wire to chassis ground.  This makes me suspect that there is a short in one of the pull down unit wires.  however I cannot get to the unit because the key will not open the trunk.  The key will go in and turn 90 degrees but will not open the latch any ideas?  is there at least a fuse for the trunk pull down so that I can prevent it from burning out the motor and/or draining the battery?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Dave Shepherd

Welcome to the forum.  Try disconnecting the battery, then see if you can open it.  Usually one of the limit switches can can cause this.

Mossman747

I tried that, disconnecting the battery has no effect.  key turns but will not unlatch.

Dave Shepherd

Not sure here, but after removing the rear seats, you may be able to get into the trunk and manually release the latch?  Better not weigh more than 160.  Lol

bcroe

From the back seat is a method I have used a few times.  With a
flashlight see the latch mechanism.  Typically 3 bolts can be seen
holding the top or the bottom of the latch.  Use a couple long
extensions to unscrew a set and it should release.  You might
stick some tape into the ext joints so it can't come apart in the trunk. 

As for the pull down, I see it as another thing to break.  When that
happened I pulled the relay and just set it to latch manually.  Trunk
release button still works.   Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
Try disconnecting the battery, add a friend or two on the trunk lid to press it down and then try the key again.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Mossman747

No luck when forcing the trunk down and trying the key.  I have a pretty small girlfriend, sounds like I might have a job for her.  With the seat out is it possible for someone to crawl into the trunk on a convertible?

Mossman747

Got the trunk working, I Had to pull the rear seat and then remove the fabric lining of the convertible top well.  My 5’ tall girlfriend was just barely able to squeeze through the opening and into the trunk.  There were a number of issues, the first being that someone put the latch in wrong and the operating rod from the key lock was not engaged with the latch. Secondly one of the wires on the pull down had lost all of its insulation and was grounding to the latch.  This caused the mechanism to continue to run and also drained the battery.  Lastly part of the pull down was misaligned which wasn’t helping either.

Dave Shepherd