News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Axle Nut Socket size for 72 Eldo

Started by Loveofclassics78, July 17, 2018, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good afternoon.
Does anyone know the correct size axle nut socket I should buy to change the front axle on a 72 Eldorado?

Thanks,
Don

TJ Hopland

Originals are 1 1/2".   That comes out to around 38mm.  I don't remember if that is one in the typical sets or not, I bought mine way before I needed axle sockets for anything else.   Unlike many modern ones wall thickness isn't an issue with these so normal impact sockets seem to fit fine.

New production axle assemblies use a smaller one that comes with it, I don't remember what size it was but it was one that was in my universal 6ish piece axle socket set.

They can be difficult to get off so I would work on getting it loose before you go through the trouble of jacking the car.   I have had more success with a good air impact than other methods.   My socket was either 1" or 3/4" drive with an adapter down to 1/2".  Every piece in the chain absorbs the impact force so on one car I could not get it to move I welded the adapter in and after I did that it worked on that car and every one I have ran into since. 

Check over your 'new' axles carefully to make sure the boots are not hard from sitting on the shelf forever.   Also check the splines and that the nut easily threads on.   Rebuilds often seem to have damage in those areas that may need some cleaning up before you try and install them.   

The other thing you should be ready to deal with while you are messing around in that general area is wheel bearings and lower ball joints.   These cars are hard on both so you may find more things to fix while you are in there.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Loveofclassics78

Thanks for the reply.  I have to ask you, when you say the chain absorbs the impact force, are you referring to the chain in the transmission?  I have air tools and a 60 gallon tank so that's the route I'm going.

bcroe

Long ago I bought one of those imported 3/4" drive sets when I got
a FWD car, works well.  Have put on a 6' extension to the breaker
bar to get the nut loose.  Failing that I placed the extension handle on
the ground and moved the car a couple feet IN THE PROPER DIRECTION
to break it loose.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

By chain I meant extensions and adapters between the socket and impact tool.  You end up wasting energy taking up the slack between each adapter or extension.   If you only need a 1/4 of the power its not a problem but with something like this you may need every bit of power going into that nut.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Loveofclassics78

Understood!  Thanks.  My plan was to replace as I remove.  Ball joints, Tire rod ends, axle.  I want to do the control arm bushings.  Heard they can be a beast. 

bcroe

Policy here is to replace metal joints based on wear, rubber bushings
mostly on age.  My low mileage 79 Eldo has all new rubber bushings,
original ball joints.  Part of the reason is having experienced 2 quick
failures of replacement upper ball joints.  Bruce Roe

Loveofclassics78

Are the aftermarket axles good quality?  Is there a certain manufacturer that I should look for?

bcroe

A couple years ago and low miles, I got a left side half shaft for my
downsized 79 Eldo, which seems to be fine so far.  From Rock Auto,
listed as a SURTRACK.  A limited sample of one. 

I don't have a handle on wear out of half shafts, except all those right
side dampers seem to be dying and replaced with left side shafts.  It
is very important to keep a close eye on the boots, and get the shaft
out immediately in case of a rip.  Otherwise dirt gets into the joint and
does damage.  If I ever master re booting these, I should have quite a
stock of half shafts to swap in, and maybe spot wear points.  Only need
the left side shaft for either here.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Don
I have had fantastic experience with Cardone.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Loveofclassics78

Good deal. I'll be ordering that today.  I'm rebuilding the front end. I saw that USA Parts offers fully refurbished control arms. Basically a stock control arm with new bushings and ball joint. May be easier to replace the whole arm than having to press the bushings in. Any good experiences with this company?

bcroe

Quote from: Loveofclassics78 on July 20, 2018, 09:31:47 AM
Good deal. I'll be ordering that today.  I'm rebuilding the front end. I saw that USA Parts offers fully refurbished control arms. Basically a stock control arm with new bushings and ball joint. May be easier to replace the whole arm than having to press the bushings in. Any good experiences with this company? 

The General used to offer complete lower arm assemblies on some
models, good chance there are still some out there since the public
often doesn't realize they could be ordered.  I recently got a set for a
77 Delta 88.  But I don't know about your model.  Bruce Roe

Loveofclassics78

I have a 1972 Eldorado. I saw some part numbers for complete control arms in an earlier thread, but when I googled those, nothing came up. A NOS control arm would be nice, but I'm sure if it was out there, it would be an arm and a leg!

TJ Hopland

I have bought a few smaller parts from these guys and they seem to have a good reputation.   You would want to let them know you are dealing with an Eldo to make sure if there is anything different you get the right parts but they seemed used to that when I talked to them. 

http://www.appliedgmc.com/prod.itml/icOid/647

If you really want to make your front end last forever you can also get the knuckle and hub assembly where they install grease fittings.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV