News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Possable or Impossable ???

Started by 60eldo, July 19, 2018, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So I got my car and it runs great all lights etc. Here it is , the pos battery cable is on the neg side and vise versa, car runs great
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Which terminal is connected to ground?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

60eldo

poss cable goes to ground on battery
Jon. Kluczynski

bcroe

In theory the gen could be magnetized to work either polarity, not
sure about the volt reg.  The radio contains transistors, so it could
not work if your battery is connected backwards.  The ign would
have less than optimum spark if backward. 

Honestly the idea of connecting the bat backwards is scary, will
the reg contacts weld up and cause a fire when run?  And recovering
from that situation has the same issues.  Bruce Roe

60eldo

How I found it was, I bot a new sterio and when I hooked the pos to pos of battery the sterio started smoking, and it fryed
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bcroe

It would be impossible with an alternator, because the diodes would
short out the battery, big smoke, explosion? 

Are you planning to fix it?  I might remove the bat, install a SHTF bat
disconnect switch just in case, put in a new volt reg, put in the bat,
follow procedure to magnetize the gen, then put one hand on the
switch and try it out.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

I had the same thing happen to me when my battery was completely drained due to the courtesy light on the rear of the front seat being left on.

I accidentally charged the battery and reversed the polarity with the charger and believe it or not the car ran perfectly for about a year this way but ruined my radio.  I had a radio converted to electronic FM and Blu Tooth and it smoked up as soon as I turned it on.  In checking my voltages I discovered the error.
Oddly enough, the seat, windows. and power top worked correctly while the battery was in the reversed state.

Check your battery with a volt meter.  If the polarity is reversed in the actual battery it's now junk.  If it meters correctly with your meter red on positive and black on negative then the battery is OK but you need to flip it around in the tray and connect it correctly, or get a new battery with the terminals in the correct positions relative to the tray and cable locations.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

60eldo

reversed the cables, red on red black on black now all is good and my gas guauge has stopped bouncing around so I think Im good to go. BUT WIERD,,put in a new battery also
Jon. Kluczynski