News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car show events

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, July 20, 2018, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I know there was a thread in here somewhere regarding diminishing attendance at car events. Not to beat a dead horse but we’re in LA for a few days and I just picked up the local paper. Tomorrow night the city of Glendale is having a little event. 300 cars over 1/2 mile of the main drag. They expect 55-60000’people to attend (like last
Year). I would say the interest is there if the venue is right.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

On the local level, there are more car related activities than at any prior time I can remember.

So called "car cruises" are ubiquitous even in these parts which is not exactly a major metropolitan area. This cannot help but cut into the attendance at more "traditional" dedicated car show format.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

I started the original post to point out the diminishing attendance of cars at GN lately, while the membership attendance is increasing.  While the car hobby is slowing down, it is not dead.  I think the Cadillac attendance at GN's is way lower than it should be.  My attendance at the last several proves this and only more cars at the future GN's will change my humble opinion.  More words will not change my opinion.  Tings change, I get it, and just saying this is a fixable phenomenon.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

I agree the local scene is booming. The monthly Cars &
Coffee closest to me, about 25 minutes north of San Francisco, gets 400 cars this time of year (although not many Cads).  Hard to get a parking spot with the main grouping of cars if you don’t arrive at least an hour before the 8:00 am start.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just went to the Nethercutt museum. Now I know where a Whole Lot of. Classic Cadillacs have gone. Teens through 40s. It seems the downsizing from rural to city homes to apartment or condos with the exponential increase of storage units has led to people without the space for hobby cars or the tools to play with them.
More and more folks go to the auctions to see hundreds of excellent cars at one time and get their “car fix” that way.
That’s my rant for the evening.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Locally on the Cape, there's a cruise in every Wednesday night at the A&W in Harwich, good for 50-75 cars every time. Patriots Square in Dennis has a cruise in every Saturday night, 100-200 cars. Gillette Stadium has a cruise in every other Thursday, 400+ cars...

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Joe G 12138

Trying to see the forest through the trees...... Many say "young people" don't have any interest in the old car hobby. Not necessarily so. Most young  people like to have fun. When they have a choice between going to an event where their cars and efforts are criticized, picked at, and complained about, and maybe even not allowed in the same physical place as others or instead going where there are like-minded people having fun, they will choose to have fun. I can say for sure that some "not so young" people are starting to think the same way!  Some people like the venue of judging, nit picking, and keeping a car as it left the factory even if it's not enjoyable to drive. Others enjoy using, improving, and even getting compliments on making something  "useless" into "cool". 
        I'm not trying to get on a soapbox here or advocating changing anything. But that's just the way the world is. People choose what they like. There's venues in the hobby from one extreme to the other and everything in between. CCCA is the polar opposite of the Ratrod or HAMB cultures. The CLC, AACA, and Woodward Ave. Cruisers and local Gearhead Cruise-ins are all in various slots between. We'll see where the membership and event attendance trends go. But the bottom line is that we all have choices, and usually do what we enjoy doing and skip what we don't.     
            Joe Gibeault 

Scot Minesinger

Joe,

very well stated.  Young people seem to enjoy the old cars more than the older folks.  I hear children telling their parents all the time as my 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible drives by "We need to get a car like that!"

People can choose what is fun and what is not.  The cruise ins are best to me, everyone just enjoys the cars.  In fact at the local AACA meet on Father's day every year with 400 cars most of my friends with Cadillacs that are driven attend, will only do so if we do not have to be judged.  They always try and make us be a separate class and judge the 5 (that want to be) out of 20 Cadillacs that attend, and we will not.  They need us, so they agree to waive the requirement.  Then everyone can enjoy the show!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

D.Smith

We get 600-800 cars at our local cruise night EVERY Monday night.

http://www.markscruisenight.com/

cadillacmike68

^^ Wow,

That more than twice what Old Town in Kissimmee usually gets on a Saturday night. Where is it?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 21, 2018, 08:39:18 PM
^^ Wow,

That more than twice what Old Town in Kissimmee usually gets on a Saturday night. Where is it?

Northern Connecticut.  http://www.markscruisenight.com/

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Bass Pro Shop at Gillette Stadium draws 400 easy at their cruise in every other Thursday, its nuts!

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

One problem in my area (St. Louis) is that I never seem to see things asvertised. Every once in a while I see a sign up but nothing on the news or anything else. There step not newspapers anymore. I am really not on Facebook so if they are posted there I wouldn't see it. There is a local Cars and Coffee chapter here. I went once this year and it was mostly new stuff. Various people posted literally 100'a of pictures but only half a dozen of the few older ones. Kind of took the wind out of my sails.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

look for a web site that has events in your state.

Someone finally put up a decent one for FL.

No CT shows in Dec-Jan eh? Nice weather here during that time.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 22, 2018, 02:55:45 AM

Um,  No.     Our classics hibernate in the winter.  Unlike my DTS that sits under 30 inches of snow here.

But I can fly someplace warm in the winter on vacation if I want.  I'm guessing you guys fly north in the mid summer to get away from the worst of the heat.

slowpoke17

[/quote]

Mike,

We get to put our toys away and do some work to them with no rush as they aren't going anywhere soon. Then the anticipation builds, to be able to take our cars out again and get them ready for a new show season is the best. When that first nice Spring day hits after a long winter we're all like kids at Christmas! Oh but sadly you guys will never know that joy because you drive 'em all year. Oh well.  :)
John Federico

Greg Powers

Cruise-In type shows and gatherings are very well attended in most areas but as we have talked about before this is generally a different group of folks than those attending an actual judged event. The size and attendance level varies greatly by the population within a reasonable distance, Usually as has been stated a lot of the cars at these events are nice newer model Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, and various imports. Nothing wrong with this idea but just a different crowd, usually not a lot of Cadillac folks there, especially classic Cadillacs. I think another hard reality about this modern generation is they aren't collectors at this point. Minimal is better - tiny houses, no grandma's china or crystal or silver, no Lladro figurines or Hummels, and cars only as mode of transportation - not a collectible. As Joe said, we'll just have to see what the future holds.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Lexi

Greg and Steve are dead on. Same up in this region as well. Clay/Lexi

gary griffin

I look at it a little differently.  I go to the events that are in places I have never been and make a 2 or 3 week vacation of it. Usually air fare and hotel costs are the biggest expenses we occur.

I have always wanted to cruise Route 66 and have never been to Kentucky so I will be looking for  a good serviceable Caddy for sale East of Kentucky to possibly take care of both the Grand National  then cruise home and "Get my kicks on route 66". Hopefully I could recover some of the costs when I sell the car if I do?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

cadillacmike68

Quote from: slowpoke17 on July 22, 2018, 10:21:28 AM

Mike,

We get to put our toys away and do some work to them with no rush as they aren't going anywhere soon. Then the anticipation builds, to be able to take our cars out again and get them ready for a new show season is the best. When that first nice Spring day hits after a long winter we're all like kids at Christmas! Oh but sadly you guys will never know that joy because you drive 'em all year. Oh well.  :)

I used to live in MA and NY, so I know all about winter fun...

I live here in FL year round. I'd have to sell all these cars and a lot of other things to have a "summer home" in the snow belt, which frankly I do not want.

As hot as it gets here it still doesn't come close to the 125 deg F temps in the mideast desert where I spent several years on deployments.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike