News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Are your classic Cadillac windows tinted?

Started by chrisntam, July 22, 2018, 10:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Obviously, late model Cadillacs have their windows tinted, what about earlier models?

Mine aren't, don't think I will, just wouldn't look right.

Your thoughts?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

The usual tinting was the factory e-z-eye colouring.

Both my '60 CDV and '72 Eldo have that option.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   From what i can gather, it began in and around 1952
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Yes they all have the factory tinted glass which does NOTHING to protect the interior of the cars here in FL.

So they ALL have aftermarket tinting - Very Dark, to keep the sun here from disintegrating my interiors.

And yes that's another thing that spins up the judges like a Tasmanian devil on steroids. I had forgotten about this.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

V63

Many of the tints available today have outstanding  UV protection that DOES protect the interior without the darkness we associate with similar protection. The darker tints are difficult to see through at night.

Residing in AZ, tinting films are an appreciated technology.

chrisntam

It appears 2 of the 3 respondents understood I was speaking of readily available applied window tint, sheet film, available in a variety of tint levels.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TMoore - NTCLC

3 of my 1970's vintage Cadillacs have after-market sheet window tinting, in addition to the factory e-z eye tinting.  One of them does not.  The difference in heat gain in the one car that does not have after-market tinting is very noticeable. In Texas, it makes a considerable difference on the effectiveness of the air-conditioning (none of these cars will likely be entered in judging during my ownership).  My 1942 does not have any window tint, and it is not likely to ever get tinting during my ownership (no a/c obviously, so the windows are for the most part, down during driving)

cadillacmike68

W Link, Yes, modern sheet tints are Far better than the ones in the early 80s They reject light and you can still see through them at night. Just don't turn on all the interior lights.

Heat rejection while parked, AC efficiency, and preservation (there's that preservation word so highly touted by some) of the car's interior are all reasons for applying it.

I don't see a negative, except for the spin effect on some judges.

People complain about dark cars being hotter than light cars. Its Not the car color, but rather the heat absorption through the glass that heats up a car interior so much.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

metalblessing

This is an interesting discussion. Once I am able to find replacement glass for mine, I am considering tinting to protect the interior, im sure it will be frowned upon by purists who will likely say "just get a cover"
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

WTL

Maybe its just me, but, driving the 69 at night, it seems like glare from other cars is several magnitudes worse than when I'm driving a modern car.  I've always assumed that the modern tinting/glass has far superior antiglare properties. 

cadillacmike68

Quote from: metalblessing on July 23, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
This is an interesting discussion. Once I am able to find replacement glass for mine, I am considering tinting to protect the interior, im sure it will be frowned upon by purists who will likely say "just get a cover"

I have covers, but who is going to put a cover on a car in a show when it's parked in the show field for 5 - 6 - 8 or more hours???
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: WTL on July 23, 2018, 04:39:45 PM
Maybe its just me, but, driving the 69 at night, it seems like glare from other cars is several magnitudes worse than when I'm driving a modern car.  I've always assumed that the modern tinting/glass has far superior antiglare properties.

Your 69, like my 70, used REAL GLASS for a windshield. I have some small rock chips in my windshield that would have a modern car looking like a spider web. Glare from on coming headlights really bothers me, so my opto made night driving glasses for me with an 'anti-glare' built in. Made a considerable difference.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 Cadillacs have factory glass.  It may have been slightly tinted - not sure.  My Cadillacs are in the garage except when driven.  Sun does not get much of a chance to do damage.  Interior still looks as it did a dozen years ago.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

sding

I rarely look threw the side glass when I drive my eldo!

Dan LeBlanc

Laminated safety glass was used in side windows up until the end of the 1961 model year.  That combined with the windshield gives you 90% coverage with laminated glass.  Without any special tints or coatings, laminated glass by its nature blocks 99% of UV rays from entering the cabin of the car.  Still does nothing to stop the interior from baking an the resulting damage, but at least UV is blocked as SOME protection.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car