News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

cross grain vinyl top

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, July 23, 2018, 01:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Just for the halibut, 'are' there any manufacturers of the 70's 'cross grain' vinyl top? Prolly won't be as cheap
as the tuxedo top from OPGI, but now is the time to find out the cost. My body shop and upholsterer have no idea who would stock the 'correct' top.

Waiting on headliner samples from a few manufacturers now.

The Ark is scheduled to go to Hyannis Vintage Auto to have the current roof removed, repairs and be prepped for the new roof the 1st of October. We have a date the 1st of December to install the new roof and headliner at Paul's Upholstery in Chatham.

Can I write this off under my business?  :'(

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Laurie:

From what I've been able to find out from my usual
sources is that cross-grain vinyl has not been made by
anyone for years.  It's no longer available.

The closest to it is Tuxedo grain.  It's often confused
with cross grain.  So, your choices may be limited.
Tuxedo can be ordered from a number of sources.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Tuxedo it is, thanks Mike.
I think OPGI has the best price....
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

V63

I have a roll of the cross grain in a metallic light blue, I’m only going to use enough to do a 74 CDV. 1/2 top. It can be prepped and dyed, (painted with flex finish SEM). I’m going to go white for my purpose.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Laurie,

The name that Cadillac used in sales and ordering literature for vinyl tops is "Cross Grain" for all models from '63 through '76. That’s the pattern shown in the lower portion of the attached pic. Over the years the street name for this grain pattern became "Tuxedo Grain". It would not be an issue if Cadillac had not used the name Tuxedo Grain beginning in '77 for a different, finer pattern material shown in the upper portion of the pic. The correct pattern for a '70, is the larger "Cross Grain" pattern in the lower portion.

If ’70 has a traditional wire hung headliner, as compared the foam board type, I suggest you contact Acme Auto Headlining, Long Beach CA, 562-437-0061. They’ve been an OEM supplier to  manufacturers for years and have correct patterns. You’ll need to provide the trim number and color and they’ll send a sample. I dealt with Robert Westmoreland. Fast service, correct material and configuration, beautiful fit. They will also supply additional fabric to cover the sail panels with the courtesy lights.

HTH

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on July 24, 2018, 11:02:00 AM
Laurie,

The name that Cadillac used in sales and ordering literature for vinyl tops is "Cross Grain" for all models from '63 through '76. That’s the pattern shown in the lower portion of the attached pic. Over the years the street name for this grain pattern became "Tuxedo Grain". It would not be an issue if Cadillac had not used the name Tuxedo Grain beginning in '77 for a different, finer pattern material shown in the upper portion of the pic. The correct pattern for a '70, is the larger "Cross Grain" pattern in the lower portion.

If ’70 has a traditional wire hung headliner, as compared the foam board type, I suggest you contact Acme Auto Headlining, Long Beach CA, 562-437-0061. They’ve been an OEM supplier to  manufacturers for years and have correct patterns. You’ll need to provide the trim number and color and they’ll send a sample. I dealt with Robert Westmoreland. Fast service, correct material and configuration, beautiful fit. They will also supply additional fabric to cover the sail panels with the courtesy lights.

HTH

Hey Ralph!
GREAT picture, great information and I'll be calling your guy tomorrow.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Got the sample of Tuxedo Grain from Mark Demyan today, it will look perfect, but will need padding.
Ralph every time I try to call your guy at Acme its either before or after left coast business hours, my schedule is nuts. I'll get him on the phone.

OPGI in an email said they "estimate" 2-6 weeks on their Tuxedo grain roof. "Estimated" was repeated twice, not a warm and fuzzy feeling about this...

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, don't forget that they have to put a really lot of graining in a normal top material to make it how you want.   ;) ;)   Things do take time.   ;) ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 28, 2018, 01:16:05 AM
Well, don't forget that they have to put a really lot of graining in a normal top material to make it how you want.   ;) ;)   Things do take time.   ;) ;)

Bruce. >:D

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! LOL!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville