News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79 Coupe DeVille Felt Top Removal

Started by Phaeton79, July 23, 2018, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaeton79

Working on a 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and trying to find more information about the process to remove the felt/vinyl top in order to fix rust/corrosion around the top molding.

Has anyone done this? Skill level required and hours of work?

Thanks,
ccasey

The Tassie Devil(le)

This has been mentioned before, but the biggest thing to overcome will be the shock of seeing what is, or may not actually be, underneath.

These padded vinyl tops would have to be the main cause of vehicles ending their life prematurely.

Look at  http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=149456.0

Not exactly the same as yours, but you will need the Fisher Body Service Manual to guide you through the removal of the myriad of clips that hold the trim in place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

67_Eldo

I started to compose an answer to this thread specifically. Then I realized that many of these details might be more generally helpful. So I've added a relatively long summary of what I've encountered (to date), including estimates of hourly labors and dollarly costs, to my Restoration thread.

To kick off this avalanche of words, here's my introductory advice.

-----

I would say that, before you begin to physically attack your vehicle in any way -- to inspect or repair -- carefully and honestly evaluate what the car is worth to you. This is particularly important for owners of old Cadillacs because the market value of our ancient machines will insure that top repair makes *no* economic sense. Top repair is expensive and vintage Cadillacs are cheap: Not an owner-friendly situation.

[Continued on the Restoration thread.]

Phaeton79

I appreciate the feedback and the link to the 68s top being redone. The 79 I have means alot to me and my family so putting in the time and $$$ is worth it. I will weigh my options. I want to redo the top to be able to correctly fix the rust.

Do you have to pull the interior to remove the top? I've heard conflicting answers to this...

Thanks again!

Ccasey

67_Eldo

You should pull everything out of the car that you don't want to (possibly) get damaged by sand or errant paint.

To those who are particular and paranoid, that means everything: Seats, radio speakers, headliner, dash board (including a mechanical speedometer), anything that is cloth or mechanically subject to dust.

In my case, I left the front seats in because they are covered in relatively thick vinyl. But I notice that my 6-way power-seat switch doesn't work too well now. I'm wondering if that's because it is filled with sand and dirt.

It is up to you and to how well you can protectively mask the parts of the car that you don't want to defile with dust.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Phaeton79 on July 24, 2018, 01:59:37 PM

Do you have to pull the interior to remove the top? I've heard conflicting answers to this...

Presumably you're asking whether certain parts of interior trim need removal in order to provide access to roof  mounting hardware and so forth. If we're talking about removal of the Cabriolet vinyl roof, the answer would be an unequivocal no. However the Phaeton roof is a different animal and were specially installed by ASC in CA.

I would start by looking inside the trunk header panel where the roof border molding passes across to see whether any mounting hardware is visible requiring the use of tools to remove. If not, chances are the molding is held on by plastic fasteners and removed by prying off from the outside.

These type roofs have a fiberglass shell which is glued onto the body roof panel. Not an easy job but I'd be surprised if any interior disassembly required.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

e.kempton

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 23, 2018, 10:30:33 PM
This has been mentioned before, but the biggest thing to overcome will be the shock of seeing what is, or may not actually be, underneath.

These padded vinyl tops would have to be the main cause of vehicles ending their life prematurely.

Look at  http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=149456.0

Not exactly the same as yours, but you will need the Fisher Body Service Manual to guide you through the removal of the myriad of clips that hold the trim in place.

Bruce. >:D
There is a special GM manual that deals with the Phaeton tops.  I would look for one on ebay.

e.kempton

Quote from: e.kempton on July 24, 2018, 03:25:08 PM
  There is a special GM manual that deals with the Phaeton tops.  I would look for one on ebay.
I found one on ebay it is ebay number   311901583516.

Phaeton79

Thank you for the posts. You all have been most helpful. I will look for more attachment points from what you have suggested. I am nervous that the top is riveted in. I am not sure how difficult that would be compared to plastic retaining clips... oh well... Nothing a few beers couldn't fix.... Jk

Thanks again!

ccasey

Phaeton79

*****Update******

I removed the shell/felt top from the 79 Phaeton I have. The shell is indeed riveted into the body. Mostly around the side rear windows and front roof. No access from the interior side. It was touch and go for a minute. I didn't want to commit but I knew in order to inspect and fix any rust I needed to. I will be working on how to reattach and refelt the shell. Any and all suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
ccasey

67_Eldo

Before I went too much farther, I'd follow e's advice above and snag a manual. There are many ways to redo things in the auto-body world, but the more you know about Cadillac's original intentions, the better.

Here's another one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1979-Cadillac-Deville-Phaeton-Roof-Shop-Manual-Coupe-Sedan-De-Ville-Repair-/361301737298