News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 425 cu in heater hose relocation

Started by NickD, July 24, 2018, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickD

Hi group. I have a couple of questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone tell me which diameter heater hose the 3/4 in. or the 5/8 in. hose is the pressure hose and which one is the suction hose?  The 5/8 inch hose goes to the heater control valve and then to the back of the cylinder head and the ¾ inch hose goes to the top of the radiator.

Is it possible to relocate the current heater hose connection from the back of the passenger’s side cylinder head to another location?  And, if so do you guys have any suggestions as to where.  I was thinking of using a T hose connector (part CHP-CS08) from Cadillac High Performance.

Nick

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Nick
Is the motor FI or carb and are you using all the sensors mounted on the motor?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

NickD

Hi Greg

It is the carb engine.

No. I am using the heat riser port for my aftermarket temperature gauge sender. I have removed the original temperature sensor and blocked off the port.

Nick,
IF you are not using your EFE sensor located on the passenger side of the motor just under the water outlet that is a usable port into the water jacket. There are four versions of emissions controls for this motor and depending upon which you have the EFE sensor is or isn't used for other functions. The Federal, Carbuerated version does not use this for anything other than the EFE.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

NickD

Hi Greg. I am using the EFE port for my aftermarket temperature gauge sending unit.  I was unable to use the regular temperature sending port because the new temperature sender is to long and hits the timing case cover. What about using a T hose connector (part CHP-CS08) from Cadillac High Performance.

Can you tell me which diameter heater hose the 3/4 in. or the 5/8 in. hose is the pressure hose and which one is the suction hose?  The 5/8 inch hose goes to the heater control valve and then to the back of the cylinder head and the ¾ inch hose goes to the top of the radiator.

Thanks.

Nick,
The standard sizes are: 5/8" from the motor to the heater valve , 3/4 inches from the heater back to the radiator.
Radiator hose sizes are 1-1/2 inches ID.
The CHP-CS08 is 1-3/4" x 3/4", so I would guess it is intended for the return line from the heatr.
I've got a 472 motor in my 79 where a 425 came out.
There is virtually no room for the fitting on the passenger side head so what I did was bought  a 1-1/2 inch radiator hose coupler with a pipe fitting side outlet typically used for a temperature gauge and ran my heater supply line (5/8") from there.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

NickD

Hi Greg. Are you saying that the 5/8 inch hose supplies the coolant to the heater core? Would that be considered the pressure line?

I found this part at www.etrailer.com.
1-1/2" Lower Radiator Hose Connector for Kat's Heaters Circulating Tank Heaters
Item # KH28115

Do you think it would work and if so would I use the lower or upper radiator hose for installation?

Nick
The size is correct but I would not use a plastic fitting.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

What are you trying to accomplish here?    I'm not saying what ever it is is a bad idea just thinking if we knew what the goal was maybe we could give better advise.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Read the first post TJ.  He does not want to use the (almost impossible to get to) head outlet for the heater water on a 425 motor.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

All I read is he wanted to know if it could be relocated,  I didn't see him say why.     Engine out of the car?    Going back into a 79ish Cadillac?    Going into something else where there is even less space back there? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

NickD

Hi Guys. Engine is in the car. Car is a 79 coupe. I just want to move the line from its present location, due to its inaccessibility for service.