News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Suspension -59 caddy

Started by Paul, July 24, 2018, 06:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I have a 59 cdv that needs new springsâ€"any recommendations for custom springs? I’m near Chicago if there are any local places anyone can recommend. I want the correct height and smooth Caddy ride. Any thoughts on shocks and strut recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks!
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

Your best bet will be Coil Spring Specialties.  Eaton Detroit Spring typically makes their replacement springs to the Series 75 spring rate which will be too firm and lift the car too high.  CSS will make the springs as per the published spring rates in the FSM if you give them your model and with or without a/c.  Ride height and firmness will be correct.

PS:  No suggestions for strut assemblies - none to be had in a 59  >:D
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

59-in-pieces

Paul,

Paul,
As I recall, there were maybe 10 for the front and 5 different spring types for the rear (front and rear springs had different part numbers), and each was selected at the factory based upon the various models.
The springs were color(dobbed) coded at their end to match the various models.

The Standing Heights remained relatively the same regardless of the models and their respective curb weights, and that is why so many springs were required to maintain the consistent height.

A chart is provided to demonstrate the weight issues between the front and rear of each model.

I would suggest that if you change out the springs yourself that you are careful to position them properly in their saddles, relative to the locking position nubs and holes at the bottom of the saddle.
Also, you should spend a couple more bucks for new insulators at the top ends of the rear springs.

Finally, get a Shop Manual and BE SAFE - removing/replacing the springs is very dangerous - springs are unforgiving and nobody's friend.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Paul

Thanks for the great info. I reached out to coil springs and they gave me a great price for new springs. I won't be installing them myself. I need to find a shop that is familiar with my car. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top