News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replace Door Hinges in Pairs?

Started by Loveofclassics78, July 25, 2018, 09:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good morning! I replaced the upper left door hung on my 72 Eldo. After replacing, it seems like the door is a bit off. See the pics below. I'm wondering if this because I need to replace the lower hinge as well? I also attached a pic of the lower hinge.  There are no shims in the hinges of these doors.  Or Possibly this door needs adjusting?  Can you adjust this door with the fender on? 

Puzzling...
Don

Sorry for the sideways pics... :(

V63

My guess is the door needs adjustment. It’s a tricky massage...but I would start by

Remove striker post in door jamb.

For ‘up’ adjustment

loosen all your upper hinge bolts, but ‘just’ enough to get movement with a jack under open lower edge of door.  Resnug fasteners

Adjust door where it closes just perfect (without striker).

Fore and aft, loosen hinge fasteners, close door and use a ratchet strap on door structure to rear 1/4 structure (since panels are off. Trick here is your hinge fasteners are only loosen enough to allow exerted pressure but won’t revert when door is carefully reopened to resnug fasteners.

For in or out adjustment attach strap to opposing  door structure.

Reinstall post striker, BTW...the original post striker had a plastic bushing that GREATLY improves door closing. Several wraps (5-6) of electrical tape will work for a while.

tripwire

Back in the day when I was in the service dept. we would always replace upper & lower hinge pins and bushings at the same time. They both had the same number of use cycles and the were rarely lubed as often as they should have been.  And those doors weigh a ton.  If I'm not mistaken, in your 3rd photo I see what appears to be a broken/worn bushing.
I don't recall if this particular hinge has replaceable pins & bushings.   

Wes in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Don,

I have replaced all the bushes and pins in the hinges on my '72 eldo, and they are a pain to get re-aligned with the front fenders in place, but, it can be done.

A lot of reaching down and twisting in the front of the doors, but it is possible, and really is a two-person operation, as when the doors are removed, they need to be supported on stands, so that there is no need to remove the wiring, as these doors are H E A V Y, and unforgiving when they start to fall.

I got my hinge pin kits from RockAuto, and they were simple to fit, BUT, have to be removed completely from the car to access the pin removal and bushing replacement.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Usually the bottom hinge fails if you can believe it.  I replaced all four of mine (on 1970 DVC) and the lower ones were failed.  You should replace in pairs, but if can only replace one go for the lower. I would have thought upper if only on, but surprise.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty