News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wire Wheels

Started by csteeves, July 25, 2018, 10:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csteeves

Is it appropriate to change Cadillac hub caps to Cadillac wire wheels on a 1956 Coupe Deville?Does Coker tire provide good quality wire rims that have the autthentic look for that era?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I always thought I'd like a set of wires on one of my '41s, but after having them for six months (It came with them) with wires on my '91 Seville, it now sports a set of "lace" aluminum wheels and the wires are going up for sale. They are a bear to clean. And getting a new set involves a somewhat substantial investment that you'll never get back. I'd think long and hard. You'd be better off with the sabres that was a "real" option for your year.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

WhiteCaddy70

I have wires on my 70 convertible, and I really like them, but I concur with Barry on the sabres, wiser investment.
Doug 16070
Doug Brinson

gkhashem

Barry

Is correct, I have cars with wire hubcaps, while not the same exact thing. I hate cleaning them.

So I am with Barry on this.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

35-709

I'll add my "same here" to this.  The chrome wire wheels (actually chrome rims and stainless spokes) on my '35 Cadillac look terrific but they are a royal pain to clean and keep clean.  The '35 almost "requires" wires to look right but I would never put them on a car again. 
If you must have wire wheels pay the extra for stainless spokes.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Sabres are great -- I have them on my '55 Eldorado.
They are easy to keep clean.

However, to find a nice set that are not pitted is
rather difficult.  I had mine restored for show.

However, only one place in the U.S. does it correctly
and that's Valley Wire Wheel in CA.  The last I heard,
several years ago, the cost was $1,300 per wheel to
have them correctly restored.

As most people know, they are a "hybrid" construction
of steel and aluminum.  They must be taken apart to
be plated.  Then, reassembled, trued and balanced.

That's why it so expensive.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Virgil Perkins

They are difficult to keep clean but well worth it as far as adding additional class to your car. I use a "Blaster Side Kick" portable bike dryer to facilitate cleaning. What ever you buy, if you do decide to go wires,  make sure the spokes AND nipples are stainless steel and not manufactured in China or Korea. If the vendor is not certain where the rim, spoke and nipple are made, keep looking, usually means from across the pond and questionable quality.  I learned that lesson the hard way.VP]
Virgil Perkins

walt chomosh #23510

csteeves,
  I have ridden/wrenched Harley Davidson Motorcycles for nearly 40yrs now,and,always ran spoked wheels. (their classic!) When I replaced my original 1955 CDV wheels (hub caps were near perfect and I had installed McVeys center caps...beautiful!) with spoked wheels(USA made) they definitely raised the bar for my driver. Sure, their a lot of work keeping them looking clean but I consider it worth the effort. (after scrubbing clean I blow them off with a leaf blower for easier drying) As one other CLC member commented, spend the extra bucks and get stainless spokes and nipples if available....walt...tulsa,ok

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Cleaning wire wheels/ wire wheel covers is a breeze if you have the right product.   ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Helps a lot to have a lift and put the car up so the wheels are about chest level.   ;D  I like to put chrome polish on mine (Turtle Wax Chrome Polish) to help protect the chrome rims since they live down there in road debris hell and are getting blasted with all manner of stuff when on the highway.  Those chrome rims will rust pretty readily if not kept clean and polished --- one of several reasons to have stainless spokes and nipples.  I covered and taped off the backsides of the spokes and painted the backside of the rims with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, helps a lot preventing rust starting back there and with light sanding it sticks to the surface very well.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2