News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

65 429

Started by johngmm7, July 25, 2018, 05:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngmm7

Just started a timing adjustment and believe I have a couple of wires crossed on distributor since removal and refitting.  I know the firing order is 1,3,5,7 front of car drivers side and 2,4,6,8 passenger side.   How do I establish the number 1 connection on the distributor. I don't find the workshop manual very helpful.  If I knew which wire goes above the points trapdoor or is nearest one of the hold down screws, I could work from there.   Thanks.  John

TJ Hopland

I don't know the layout of the 429 so someone else will have to verify that and the firing order for you but as far as which terminal is #1 that depends on how the last guy put the distributor in.   What you described isn't the firing order, its the physical layout. 

The way to figure it out what is currently #1 is to pull the #1 spark plug and put your finger over the hole while someone else bumps the starter.   Obviously make sure you are clear of moving parts and that the car isn't going to move.   Ideally you orient yourself so you can see the timing mark.  One time the mark aligns you won't feel anything at the plug hole.   The other time you should feel air pressure trying to blow past your finger.    You don't need it to be exactly on the mark but ideally you want it to stop close to the mark the time you feel the pressure.    Once you find that position look and see which terminal the rotor is aligned with,  that will be your #1 terminal. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

John,

You have cylinder ID right, but the firing order is in the shop manual under electrical.  It will also give you # 1 cylinder location on dist. cap.  Then the next number going clockwise in shop manual on dist cap goes to the cylinder ID you just mentioned in your post.

Next time, photograph before dissasembly, never rely on figuring it out later, there are too many nuances.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello John,

I have a '67 with a 429, which should be the same as your '65 for ignition purposes.

The firing order is 1,8,7,2,6,5,4,3.  The number 1 cylinder is the front-most cylinder on the driver's side of the engine.

If your distributor is installed the same as on my '67, the window in the distributor cap faces toward the carburetor as opposed to the radiator, relatively.  If you look down on the distributor cap, and proceed in a clockwise direction from the window in the cap, you will encounter one of the cap hold-down screws.  This screw should be more toward the driver's side of the engine than the passenger side.

Continuing in a clockwise direction, the first wire terminal after the hold-down screw is the terminal for the number 1 cylinder.  The wire from this terminal should also be the shortest of the 8 going to the cylinders.  Use the firing order above to connect all the wires.

Again, this is for a '67 429.  I think yours is the same, but maybe some '65 owners will chime in.  Good luck, and let us know the results.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop