News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Exhaust Vendor

Started by Sconnors, July 30, 2018, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sconnors

Can anyone suggest a good retailer for exhaust for a 1968 exhaust. I recently ordered a full exhaust from Classic Car Exhaust in Ohio. The parts came and the flanges didn't fit, they were the flat type. My mechanic spoke with Scott at Classic Exhaust and he ordered new flanges and shipped him a new Y pipe. This morning my mechanic got the car on the lift, and the new flanges don't line up with the bolts and the exhaust doesn't fit.

My car is a stock 1968 Cadillac Sedan De Ville with 30,000 miles on it and still has the original exhaust. So the replacement should fit fine. My mechanic has spent hours of time (and my money) trying to get this to fit with no avail. Both my mechanic and I have left messages for Scott at Classic Exhaust and have yet to hear back.

Long story short can anyone tell me where I can get a correct Y pipe with correct flanges??
Thanks for any help!!
Scott Connors

Daryl Chesterman

You might try this company.  I was able to get a complete exhaust system that looked factory original for a 1964 Mercury Monterey, and it fit perfectly.  I briefly looked up a kit for your car, but only you can tell if the components are correct.  Their website has pictures of the kits, and you can order individual components, also.

http://www.waldronexhaust.com/

Good Luck!

Scot Minesinger

I think there is a heat riser in the 1968 exhaust (last year).  If that was removed and the "Y" pipe was attempted to bolt up to it that could be an issue.  Alternatively it could be the reverse, remove the heat riser and it will fit.  I routinely remove the heat risers because if they ever stick closed you will over heat, cause a carb. to intake manifold gasket failure and etc.

You may have to replace the studs in the manifold because the flat flanges will make the existing studs too short.  I have had to do that.  Some heat and they come right out.  This reworking of the exhaust a little is normal.  I have no special exhaust tools and have always managed to make it work.

The geometry of the Y pipe as it relates to location of the two exhaust manifolds should be the same 1969 thru 1974, and 1968 would be the only different 472 for the heat riser.  I have a 1970, and presume the 1969 does not use an exhaust manifold heat riser, but it could -not sure.  Then it would be same for 1968 & 9, 1970-74 different.  Could be that the you have a 1970 or newer Y pipe.  I have used Classic Exhaust before and it worked great.

Best of luck on this.

Scot

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Highwayman68

WOW sorry to hear this. I dealt with Scott at Classic Exhaust for my 68 Fleetwood and it fit just fine. I still have the heat riser in the manifold.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Sconnors

Stuck here. Spoke with Scott and he claims he's been using the same pattern for 20 years. Yesterday I sent him pictures of my Y pipe which measures 23 inches from outside to outside and the one he sent which measures 23 1/2 inches. Also sent him pics of the flanges on my original exhaust which measure 4 inches center to center on the bolt holes and the flanges he sent are nowhere near that. My mechanic actually had to try to enlarge the hole in the flange to even get the stud to fit and it's leaking bad.

Anyone know of any NOS exhaust people or places for a 1968 Caddy??
Scott Connors

Bob Kielar

Like Daryl mentioned Waldrons is the best. Did my complete exhaust for my 55 Fleetwood everything fit perfectly.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood