News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

500 cube balancing question plus pics of my new build

Started by grantatx, July 31, 2018, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Hi All,

Just about to send the new rotating assembly off to get balanced, this after deciding to upgrade the KB hypers I originally intended to use, to Venolia forged.

The engine currently in my car is the original 472 with what I assume is the original crank hub and balancer assembly. I am intending on using these parts off the 472 on my new 500 so that the accessory pulleys all match up when I swap it in. My understanding is that the 472/500 engines are internally balanced so I don't need to use the same style hub and balancer the 500 crank I'm using originally came with (I don't have them and have no idea what the crank is out of anyway). And also that I don't need to provide the hub and balancer to the machine shop that's doing the balancing (they're on the car). Can anyone confirm this?

A friend and I spent all day deburring, cleaning and painting the block, heads and ancillary parts last Sunday, attached are a few pics of the results. I'm really happy with the Bill Hirsch Cadillac dark blue - it sprays on really thick and the result is beautiful. In the pics the block and heads appear to be a different color but that's down to the light.

Cheers,

Grant

The Tassie Devil(le)

You need to send everything from Bearing shells, Piston Rings, pulleys, Flex Plate and all attaching bolts, Harmonic Balancer, crank gear for cam chain etc.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

grantatx

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 31, 2018, 07:58:04 PM
You need to send everything from Bearing shells, Piston Rings, pulleys, Flex Plate and all attaching bolts, Harmonic Balancer, crank gear for cam chain etc.

Thanks for the input Bruce. In that case I'll send the harmonic balancer off the existing engine to the machine shop for balancing when we do the engine swap - the machinist said they can do the balancer separately from the other parts.

Cheers,

Grant

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Grant,

When I was into performance stuff, I would send a couple of Clutch Pressure Plates that I would be using as replacements whenever I got a motor balanced.

Plus, it is easier for the shop to balance everything at once, whilst everything was on the machine.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon