News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

No 1965-66 winners | Hard Luck Award at 2019 GN?

Started by BlackCads, August 01, 2018, 02:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackCads

I got my copy of the Self-Starter a few days ago and have finally had some time to read it. I noticed that NO 1965-66 cars won in Touring or Primary. Were there no entries for those years?
Also, can anyone elaborate on the winner of the Hard Luck Award and what exactly happened?
Thank you.

Scot Minesinger

I was there at GN2018 and I think there was a 1966 Cadillac, not sure it was in judging though.  Do not remember seeing a 1965 Cadillac.  The 1965-73 Cadillac were much fewer than normal.

Back a few weeks ago I wrote about less cars attending GN, while attendance continued to climb.  It is hoped that this trend reverses.  The photos of the show field in the SS really prove that we were way short on show field cars.  There seems to be a growing attitude in attendees that the responsibility of bringing Cadillac and LaSalles to the show field is somebody else's. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jason Edge

Looking at the 2018 GN program there were 2 1965/66 Cadillacs Listed: James Brown's 1965 de Ville Convertible and Doug Bailey's 1966 Eldorado Convertible. I believe I remember someone telling me that all vehicles that were on hand and photographed, including Display only cars, are in the Aug 2018 Self-Starter Grand National Issue.

Note on page 27 you will see Doug Bailey's 1966 Eldorado under Display only on page 27.  That leaves Mr Brown's 1965 de Ville convertible. He apparently was either a no show or didn't get his car picture taken. I normally try to take pictures of ALL cars on the show field but stopped at the 64's this year so I am not sure if the 65 was there. I am sure others that were there can chime in. 

I remember some of the story of the Hard Luck award, with Lee and Mary Jean Dunn and their 1976 Cadillac Eldorado and their breakdown, but do not remember the full details. I do remember that the hard luck award was very well deserved.  Hopefully others closer to the Dunn's and perhaps remembering the full story will chime in.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

chrisntam

Quote from: Jason Edge on August 01, 2018, 03:41:57 PM
snip

I remember some of the story of the Hard Luck award, with Lee and Mary Jean Dunn and their 1976 Cadillac Eldorado and their breakdown, but do not remember the full details. I do remember that the hard luck award was very well deserved.  Hopefully others closer to the Dunn's and perhaps remembering the full story will chime in.

I remember sitting through the explanation of the Hard Luck Award at the '18 GN and kept thinking....Why didn't they just get the spare out and change the flat tire...….

I too can't recall all the details, but what I do recall is that it seemed like it was all self inflicted.  Not sure if they didn't have a spare (why not if they were out on the road), or they couldn't change a flat or didn't have AAA.  Then after multiple tire failures from the same manufacturer, they kept buying the same tire only to have them fail again.

Not feelin' it on this one, unless something was omitted from the explanation at the GN.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Carl Fielding

Some tires are for show, some tires are for go. Don't go on show tires.   -   Carl

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty