News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Really Fed Up With Damaged Self Starters

Started by 76eldo, August 01, 2018, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Dear Club Directors,

I was planning on applying to be a life member because I really cannot see a time when I won't want to be a member of the CLC.

However, every month my Self Starter gets to my house in a mangled condition, see pictures below.
Just pay a few pennies more and put the thing in a bag.  Really.  Put it in a bag.  If you can't get your current printer to do this I will find one that will and maybe even get it done cheaper INCLUDING the bag.

I have been renewing in 3 year intervals and always with First Class postage.  Getting really sick of this.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Not trying to dogpile or anything, mine arrives ok. 

It may be a local issue.

My postal delivery guy has been known to cram stuff in to our mail box, one time it was crammed so tightly I could barely get it out.  I damn near called to complain and had one of them try to get the stuff out.

Luck of the draw, I guess.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Mine arrives perfectly well down here, even after travelling all around the world.

One thing I did do though many years ago was to increase the size of my Letter Box so that the Postie could insert the mail flat.

Does yours come in a clear plastic wrapper?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Mine come all the way to the middle of the Pacific with no problem. 
As I said the last time this came up, the problem is with your local postal service.  You need to talk to the supervisor of your local post office.  Then complain to your regional post master and on up the chain.  Don't give up. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve Passmore

I think there already has been a long-running thread on this subject.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

After about 5 months of mangled issues, the issue seems to have cleared up in the beginning of this year on this end. I know how frustrating this is but at least the CLC is happy to send replacement issue(s) to any members whose Self Starter arrives damaged. Hopefully it will ultimately resolve itself for you as well.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike and Dawn G

How soon after first joining does your first issue arrive? I am excited to get it.

wrench

Just an anecdote about local post office complaints. I wasn't getting some mail back in the day when everything still came via the mail. So I went to the post office to complain and they handed me a postcard to register the complaint and it went where? To the local post office I had the issue with. Lol. Great. So nothing gets done. Fast forward a couple of years and it turns out my mail person was one of those guys you read about with 10 years of other people's mail in their garage!

Good luck fixing a local post office issue.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Jason Edge

This is not practical for everyone but if possible get to know your mail carrier. In fact, become friends with them. We have now lived in the same house for 23 years and had the same carrier for over a decade, and got to know "Carl" very well. We would often leave him jelly and preserves my wife made and valued him as a friend. Maybe 5 years ago he changed routes and we had a new lady carrier, who seemed a bit less friendly than Carl at first.  I also have a parts business and ship parts daily from my home, so it is in my best interest to have someone I can trust with my mail and packages. I got to know my new carrier and now consider her a friend. I will go out of my way to help her get the heavy boxes to the truck or assist whenever I can.

Case in point: I had 2 packages going out today and we have a steady rain. One box was a rather large box with some weight and the other medium sized.  I saw my postal lady stop then start backing into the driveway toward the porch, so I ran out the door, grabbed the boxes and met her at the back door of the truck. (See picture of me with boxes in hand headed her way below).   By the way, we didn't have any mail today (a rarity at my house), but the mail carrier saw the boxes and stopped anyway.

The bottom line is treat the postal workers like you would like to be treated. Become their friend... they will help look after your stuff. As pointed out, most damage to mail seems to be on the delivery end. I do not have that problem.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

I think the damage is occurring long before the magazine gets into the hands of the local post office.

Jason Edge

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 03, 2018, 11:24:26 AM
I think the damage is occurring long before the magazine gets into the hands of the local post office.
If you are friends with your carrier they can confirm the condition they received an item.  My experience has been damage is on the delivery end, plus, what I am seeing in Brians pictures does not look like damage from sorting machines at distribution centers but rather someone just trying to stuff the magazine in the mail carrier's tote or more likely into a mail box. I also make it a point to get to know and become friends with the Postal Workers at the post office.  There have been many times I have arrived a bit late, and they let me into the back room and took packages after the front desk was closed. I remember about 2 months ago, I had shipped a rear door, delivered it just before they closed, gave them the door and was back home and realized I had packed the wrong side door. I hedged that they would let me swap out the door, and grabbed the correct door, went to the PO, banged on the door, and my "friend" let me in the back room probably 45 minutes after closing, remove the wrong door, pack the correct door and provide the Priority tape I needed.  When they are on vacation, I ask where they are at.  We chat and talk about families, home life, and things friend chat about. It makes a big difference in this cold, cold, nasty world we seem to live in.

As far as where the Self-Starters are getting damaged,  I think it is probably not on the very front end, if others have received pristine copies of the Self-Starter. Not knowing the full details, I would assume they are delivered to the postal distribution centers in boxes with the issues tightly packed, then go through the distribution and sorting machines to the regional locations.  I would not think there would be many if any hands touching the individual magazines until they are sorted and at the local distribution centers.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Quote from: Jason Edge on August 03, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
If you are friends with your carrier they can confirm the condition they received an item. 

I am and they confirmed it was not them. My SS were coming in just like Brian's but then abruptly started coming in perfect condition again. My local post office and carriers had nothing to do with it.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In looking at your damaged copy, it might have suffered damage where your copy "takes a turn" on the conveyor belt. Seeing your copy might help an inspector pin down where the damage occurs. Or, yours may "stick out" somehow. Anyhow, go to your local inspector, and calmly explain what has happened over the last few months. They might be able to trace back where your copy gets damaged. (Especially if the damage occurred on the same area of the cover.)
My lightweight copy of TV Guide always gets to me in mint condition. If they can do that, week after week, they should be able to get your S/S to you in good shape as well. It may be worth a try. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jason Edge

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 03, 2018, 12:14:09 PM
I am and they confirmed it was not them. My SS were coming in just like Brian's but then abruptly started coming in perfect condition again. My local post office and carriers had nothing to do with it.

My guess would be at the local distribution centers. For my area I believe that would be Raleigh, NC.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Just one final note. If you look at Brian's outer wrap enlarged and up close, it is heavily soiled, roughly torn at the top left, and folded at the bottom right. If it were only folded at the bottom right in a clean way such as it is, I would think perhaps conveyer belt.  But...something has roughed this issue up considerably. I like Barry's idea of going up the chain. I would head straight to my local PO and discuss with the Postmaster.  Explain the situation and ask if they have seen a recurring problem as they receive magazines and such and ask for contacts at the regional and local distribution levels.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Bob Kielar

Wow Jason you have a beautiful home. I do get my Self Starters in perfect condition here in Wisconsin. The wife and I always offer water, Gator Aid to our postal carries, U.P.S., and our village snowplow drivers makes them feel appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jason Edge

Quote from: Bob Kielar on August 03, 2018, 01:36:35 PM
The wife and I always offer water, Gator Aid to our postal carries, U.P.S., and our village snowplow drivers makes them feel appreciated.
Yep, we have the same UPS driver that passes in front of my house several times a day and frequently make deliveries to us and also know by name and regard as a friend.  I haven't got to know the Fed Ex guys that well, but don't really have that many deliveries from them, but when I see them I try to go a bit out of my way and be friendly.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

59-in-pieces

Brian,
I would take it personally, if I were U. LOL
I know I do when my thrashed copy comes here to me in Calif.
But, I guess I have it coming for some of the positions I have taken in my posts over the years.
NO WAIT - mine came thrashed this month again too - see pic.

And with all due respect to Jason dashing across the veranda of his Plantation Home there in the Carolina's (just kidding - gr8 house).
We have known our carrier for years, with the bottles of cold water on hot days, and Xmas gifts, etc. - he tells us the SS comes thrashed by the time it gets here to Burbank from the regional distribution hub in a different city about 5 to 10 miles away.
Complaining to the USPS is like talking to the 3 monkeys - see no.. hear no... and speak no....
It's a - not my job - I didn't do it - nobody saw me do it - won't find out as it is not in my job description - with a heavy dose of I can't be fired tone.

Or could it be a grand conspiracy to eliminate the old school concept of a paper magazine for an electronic version - "save the planet" - I don't know, talk among yourselves.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jason Edge

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 03, 2018, 02:29:57 PM
And with all due respect to Jason dashing across the veranda of his Plantation Home there in the Carolina's (just kidding - gr8 house).
We have known our carrier for years, with the bottles of cold water on hot days, and Xmas gifts, etc. - he tells us the SS comes thrashed by the time it gets here to Burbank from the regional distribution hub in a different city about 5 to 10 miles away.

I have a quote I like to live by "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can do!"

Perhaps there are issues somewhere up the mail delivery chain that seem out of reach in terms of making a difference, however, you can make a difference on the delivery end if you get to know your local postal workers.  It might not solve your particular problem but takes that potential weak link out of the equation.  That is all I am suggesting.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor