News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint type for 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Colonial yellow 54

Started by Tornike, August 03, 2018, 03:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornike

Hi to all,
Starting diving into my 1978 Eldorado Biarritz which I got from South Dakota collectioner after he passed way.
The car has some areas (less than 1 inch) with minor surface rust, that need some touching up.
1. What type of paint do I use at those areas? As far as I know cars until 1979 didn’t have paint with basecoat and clearcoat technique.
I’m planning to buy paint from AutomotiveTouchUp company http://www.automotivetouchup.com/products.aspx.
Which product type would I need to get from them?
2. Can the new replacement plastic fillers be painted with regular base and clearcoat paint products, with same color codes? Or those will look different from rest of the car.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The paint used on your car was acrylic lacquer. 
Basecoat / clearcoat was still about 5 years or
more away.  There are a number of sources for
the replacement polyurethane filler panels.  The
replacement panels are made of ABS plastic, so
you can use the same paint and no flex additive
is needed.

One source for replacement panels is USA Parts:
http://usapartssupply.com/

Good luck on your project!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Tornike

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on August 04, 2018, 11:58:49 PM
The paint used on your car was acrylic lacquer. 
Basecoat / clearcoat was still about 5 years or
more away. 

Thanks for the reply!

Can I use this combination for touch ups on the body?
1. Acrylic lacquer primer
2. Urethane base coat
3. Acrylic lacquer clearcoat

The company that I’m  looking to purchase paint from (Automotivetouchup.com) doesn’t seem to carry acrylic lacquer base coat paints. I don’t know if that’s fine or not.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Perhaps you are not aware that acrylic lacquer did
not use a clearcoat.  The color coat sprayed over the
primer is the surface you see -- no clear was needed.

Acrylic lacquer is still available, but you have to look for
it.  Try another vendor.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Dan LeBlanc

The key is to find a painter who can make base/clear look like the rest of the car. I had some touchup work done on a black acrylic lacquer paint. Once he was done with the quarter panel, it was indistinguishable from the door next to it without blending into it.

A fellow member here saw it and the new owner knows about it and you really can't tell. He did tell me not to bring the car back if something else needed touching up because he was nervous working on it, but he took the time mixing the paint and got it right. Of course he's an award winning painter.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roadmaster75

FYI
My 78 Biarritz was in "Ruidoso Saddle".  A Biarritz only color, that was highly metallic acrylic lacquer.
I took a chance on the folks at "AutoMotiveTouchup,com".

I needed to refinish the new ABS filler panels and get them installed on the car.

I have seen many filler jobs where the newly painted panels aren't even close to matching the
rest of the paint. 

I ordered two aerosol cans of color and two cans of clear in my paint code.
I was not expecting it to be very close.....but they nailed it!

After massaging those panels, priming and top coating.....I was very pleased with the result.

Tornike

Quote from: Roadmaster75 on August 07, 2018, 10:50:11 AM
FYI
My 78 Biarritz was in "Ruidoso Saddle".  A Biarritz only color, that was highly metallic acrylic lacquer.
I took a chance on the folks at "AutoMotiveTouchup,com".

I needed to refinish the new ABS filler panels and get them installed on the car.

I have seen many filler jobs where the newly painted panels aren't even close to matching the
rest of the paint. 

I ordered two aerosol cans of color and two cans of clear in my paint code.
I was not expecting it to be very close.....but they nailed it!

After massaging those panels, priming and top coating.....I was very pleased with the result.

Have you done any touch ups on the metal body itself?