News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Instrument panel wiring harness needed

Started by bullet bob, August 03, 2018, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

Looks like I've got some frail wiring when I removed my dash, so I'm on the hunt for a wiring harness, particularly the harness in/behind the dash. Manly instrument lights, power for the radio & clock.
Check a few places; they wanted north of $1,000. For wiring? I didn't realize the wiring was gold also! Any other ideas for a more reasonable price? Thanks
Bob
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

It shouldn't be too difficult to replace individual wires once the loom has been opened up.

Obtaining the correct gauge wiring is essential, and this is why I always strip individual wiring looms instead of throwing them out.

I have had to do this, alter wiring, whenever I performed RHD Conversions, and having a good crimper, and the correct terminals where necessary, plus joining pieces and or a soldering iron is essential, plus shrink tape.

When rewrapping a loom, don't use plain old electrical tape, as this makes the loom too stiff.  Use proper loom tape.   This stuff isn't sticky, and allows the loom to be manipulated.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

G Pennington

1953 was the last year Cadillac used cotton-insulated wiring.  It costs more reproduce the harness in the correct style since cotton insulated wiring isn't readily available anymore.  Plus some of the connectors, terminals, etc. have to be specially sourced.  If you're not concerned with originally, take Bruce's advice and repair what you have with modern plastic insulated wire and a soldering iron.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Yeah, but one of our zealous judges might peek up under the dash with a flashlight and see "non-original" wires...

(Yes, Sheldon, this IS sarcasm!) Do it the way as suggested and spend the $ on something else. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

In 2002 at the CLC Cadillac Centenary GN in Dearborn, I observed an owner preparing his lovely vehicle for judging, and I never thought that judges would stoop so low as to check that far, but this fella was prepared.

And he had a side-kick to either pass additional supplies, or to assist in extraction if he got stuck.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bullet bob

Thanks guys. This is just a nice take-it-to-the-local-car-shows kinda car. I'm sure it'll run just fine with up-dated wiring that's not era-correct. Figure if I can hide an electronic fuel pump, I can hide some wiring! Again, thanks.
Bob
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"