News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac Convertible A/C system offered by GM

Started by longhornlarry, August 06, 2018, 10:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhornlarry

Hello,
I have read most blogs regarding adding AC to the 53 or older Cadillacs. All the blogs refer to the Cadillac sedan or coupe. What system did GM use for AC on the 53 convertible? I can't imagine the in trunk original system with the plexiglass tubes being installed in the convertibles. Was it an under the dash system GM used on convertibles? I was told GM did not offer an in dash system on convertibles until around 1957.

Trying to get the parts to add AC to my 53 convertible and would appreciate any information you can give me regarding what system GM originally installed on 53 Convertible for AC.

Thanks
Larry

Dan LeBlanc

Larry...you're chasing your tail.

You could get a/c in a convertible in 1956 but few were produced. It wasn't until the a/c was moved to the dash in 1957 that it became somewhat more common.

Options at this point are an under dash aftermarket system.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

G Pennington

Don is correct.  Factory A/C was not offered in '53 convertables.  I am also trying to figure how to get A/C in my '53 conv.  Easiest solution is to go with an under-dash unit with modern compressor, condenser, etc. 
A more "stock appearing " installation would be to use a behind-the-dash evaporator unit and modify a 53-55 under dash control unit to operate the modern controls.  Probably have to shorten the glove box to make room for the evap.  That leaves the air outlets.  Not wanting to cut holes in the dash, the outlets would need to be under dash or in the kick panels.  Challanging installation.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

longhornlarry

Thanks, will leave w/o AC or decide on an under dash unit.
Challenging is the word.

Larry