News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ebay searching

Started by Caddy Wizard, August 06, 2018, 12:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Lately, ebay searches for parts for a 1955 Cadillac have returned results completely polluted with vastly overpriced parts.  Things like a pair of original screws for the instrument cluster for $75.  Or used rocker panel stainless trim for thousands of dollars.  I was tired of looking past the ridiculously priced items and getting to more normal listings. All of the crazy-priced listings were from the same guy.  Well, it turns out that you can set up your automated search to not only find parts for the particular year you are looking for, you can also filter out items offered by a particular ebay seller.  So now, I can search for parts again without wading through useless listings at astronomical prices.

It's the simple pleasures that make life enjoyable...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

D.Smith

I have found a good way to filter out search results of unrelated parts.

If you are searching for:  1955 Cadillac  instead try:  1955 Cadillac , -fits

That one word "-fits"  will eliminate all the crap that sellers think fits everything. 
Make sure you separate it with a comma and use the minus sign , -fits
Do the search both ways and noticed the number of results is far less now and the true results are more accurate.

Steve Passmore

Sadly Art, eBay seems filled with people who know nothing about cars but have started the eBay profession. They buy any old parts from all the flea markets and yard sales then try to get lots of dollars for them.  An example is I sold two 37 rear light housing on eBay for about $50 while there were 2 others also listed, one each from separate 'dealers' one at nearly $400. I looked at their feedback and al there sales were all non-auto related.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe