News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A Little Cadillac Archealogy

Started by BJM, August 09, 2018, 10:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I went to check out some Cadillacs today, most not worth restoring but all very rare and interesting.    Enjoy the photos. 

BJM

1941 67 series divider window  - rare.  This had black leather front seat and door panels. I found the details fascinating. The clock, the "hidden" storage compartments in back-sides.

BJM

The 1940 60SX with "Turret Top" 1 of approximately 240, not sure how many made it.  This one won't likely get restored.  I was familiar with the Buick version - and it was based on the Special and Century body. Why did Cadillac use the 60S for their Turret Top sunroof car? 

BJM

The 38 60S is too far gone only good for parts. But what a car it was.  I think 1938 is 1st year for 60S, and this one had dual sidemounts. 

BJM

and finally the 1 of 2150 made 1st year hardtop convertibles. 

kevinanderson

Hey Bryan, what happened to that wisteria eldorado you purchased awhile back?
Kevin

BJM

Kevin
It was sold and went to Massachusetts.  It was not a good fit for my garage and for my ability given many heavy parts.  The doors alone were a nightmare.  When opened they only got a few feet before hitting a car near it. I did save it, it was headed to the U Pick It Yard and the collector in Massachusetts can restore it or offer it again.

Right car, wrong time. 

The only car above I would consider purchasing is the Coupe deVille. Much more manageable. The 38-40 60S are in my opinion not restorable although I might have foolishly tried to restore the 1939 or the Turret Top car in my 40's. 

BJM

I wish there was a national clearinghouse of sorts where that 1941 67 could go.  Division window 67's are rare to begin with.  It's sad to know that a person can not save and enjoy a car, there comes a time.  I would be glad to help someone else buy it and facilitate transport.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The rear fender strip on the 49-CDV is valuable. If it's restorable, it's worth into four figures these days.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Bryan -

Is there a story to go with these cars?  In other words, is the owner selling them whole, or willing to part them out?

Let us know if you have any additional info, and thanks for posting - I would have spent an entire day looking at these

BJM

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on August 10, 2018, 10:00:33 AM
The rear fender strip on the 49-CDV is valuable. If it's restorable, it's worth into four figures these days.

Hi Barry
My good friend Pete Phillips already told me that.  The car is currently offered for $3000, but he will go lower and Pete said that spear was "worth 1/3 of the asking price alone".  I tried to take photos of the spears but was not entirely successful.  94 degree heat / bugs and uncertainty what I was looking for/at.

Would be a shame to part this car out. SOLID floors. 

BJM

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on August 10, 2018, 10:04:22 AM
Hi Bryan -

Is there a story to go with these cars?  In other words, is the owner selling them whole, or willing to part them out?

Let us know if you have any additional info, and thanks for posting - I would have spent an entire day looking at these

Not really a story. I call these finds (Make) Archeology because like Archeologists that find sites or dinosaur bones, the village or car are not likely getting restored, but the find is fascinating to me.  We read about the late 30's 40's Turret Top sunroof cars but hardly ever see them, so just laying hands on it was neat.  Ditto the 67 series Division Window car. 

These cars are located outside of Pella Iowa, all but the CdV which was there.  As we know there are fewer and fewer of these yards or businesses. Doug's 4 Wheelers is the name of the place and they do a great job. 

People reach out to them to come get these cars. When I showed up, they had just brought in a 1947 Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette that was abandoned in a garage for 55 years.  Complete and straight. 

All of the Cadillacs came from a 50 mile radius around Pella, Iowa, which is about 55 miles SE of Des Moines.  The owner now of the CdV, which started at Doug's, told me that all the cars came from the direct area.  So who owned that 67 series, which was set up every bit as nice as a 1941 75?  (Unlike the other 67's I have seen that are non division with a broadcloth front seat) 

Don't know - and here in this part of Iowa there are few that can afford. So, it likely came from outside and was brought in.  The 60S all came from the same farm and likely were coveted by a farmer years ago and not properly stored, and you see the result.

3 weeks ago I went to a farm outside Oskaloosa Iowa to view a 49 Frazer in a field.  The property was 2nd generation family farm owned.  The son now lives in Utah and wants to sell the cars, none of which are easily removed (stuck brakes, chest high field grasses, etc)  So, sure, he wants YOU to pay him to remove these cars, ha!

That is what is happening all across Iowa.  150 acre farms - the 2nd generation "kids" sell off the farm land for $5000 an acre and left with an old house and barn and outbuildings on maybe 2-3 acres. Eventually they get tired of paying taxes and the eyesores of a farmhouse and barn get sold.

These sorts of cars are inside barns and garages.  Doug's then gets called to come and retrieve it.   

kevinanderson

Bryan, you have a good grasp of the situation. It's the same around here. And I'm just as guilty also. But I know they would have been scrapped or demo material. I saved a 57 custom royal 2drhdt d500 from the demo and a 65 Calais coupe amongst a few other odd balls.
Kevin

59-in-pieces

Bryan,
Thanks for the pics.
I couldn't help feeling a little tug at my heart to see such once mighty and rare cars just wasting away.
And all that delicious shiny trim inside and out must be worth a ton to those restoring similar cars, and having a devil of a time finding so much unobtainium.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

BJM

I know Steve, it makes a person a bit heartsick to see what are essentially "Full CCCA Classics" in this condition, from the 60S to the 67. 

I had heard that that rear area stainless on the 67's were unobtainium.  I could see if they would part, maybe hold them to a date outstanding to part. 

I need to be perfectly honest - the 1938 60S which is the 1st year for them - that front clip looks BAD in my opinion.  Mitchell was going for a cleaned up no fuss style and accomplished that, then someone orders front sidemounts?   Not good man, not good.  Looks really busy. Most of us like sidemounted Cadillacs, but no way on the 60S.  In my opinion.

It looks like the 1940 has a sidemount front fender on it, but I don't think it was original to that car.