News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

96 Fleetwood transmission shifting issue-resolved

Started by Chuck Swanson, August 09, 2018, 11:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Posting here as it may help others.

Bought this car off member Ted.  http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=149363.0  Now fixed.

From Ted in April:

I have a 1996 Fleetwood for sale. It runs, but I have had GM replace the transmission 3 times and now they state it is a drivability problem and won't do anything. It does have rust, but a lot of great parts or try and fix it. I am looking to get at least what I would get if it is taken to the junk yard. I would rather someone get it that can use it for parts. There is about 115k miles on it.
It still drives, but doesn't lock into high.
Regards,
Ted

Update:

Drive band was toast in the transmission.  Had a friend of a good friend look at for me.  (I had a number of other projects, so didn't get to this until last week)  Guy is an expert on transmissions, and rebuilds all the time.  Fluid was also burnt.  He rebuilt the transmission properly.  It was in fact a new one from GM as Ted mentions, which was good.   My guy used Synthetic fluid, per the TSB on these transmissions (old fluid was regular)  .  Also as a precaution, he installed a huge truck transmission external cooler.  Additionally, the fluid pressures were not set correctly when the transmission was installed.  Typically he said this happens when a shop sends out the transmission for rebuilds, and does not do the actual install, i.e. farm out the rebuild.  These transmissions cannot just be installed off of the shelf.  They need to be set properly when installed...this one wasn't.  He believes this was the root cause of the issues.  Temp check shows around 212 engine when hot....145 at the trans now.  They kept reinstalling a new/rebuilt trans 3 times, but didn't set it properly.  Guy will stand by his work here...so I will let you know if any issues, but he guaranteed resolved.  Glad saved this one from the junk yard....below is car waxed and cleaned.   The rust Ted mentions is  3" spot above one of wheel wheels, and sides of gas tank (extra strap added as precaution)...but no major areas as you can see below.   New tires will be installed next week.  Seats are nice, no rips or tears---shampooed and cleaned all.  AC ice cold.  Does have some minor dings and scraches (10 footer), some minor issues in interior (small pillar rip, a few small stains on dash), along with needing a new rear bumper, power steering belt, but definitely was worth saving.

Car shifts as smooth as butter now!
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TJ Hopland

Interesting story.   Do you know the timeline of when these transmissions were installed?    Can you ask your friend if those pressure adjustments were new to the E version of the transmission?   That is the only excuse I could think of for someone to screw that up.   The E would have been fairly new in 96 but if the work was done recently most shops and re builders would likely see more E's than not E's.   On the grand scale of GM there were not that many cars that used that transmission but most of the trucks used it so even today there are still a ton of em on the road. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 10, 2018, 10:18:39 AM
Interesting story.   Do you know the timeline of when these transmissions were installed?    Can you ask your friend if those pressure adjustments were new to the E version of the transmission?   That is the only excuse I could think of for someone to screw that up.   The E would have been fairly new in 96 but if the work was done recently most shops and re builders would likely see more E's than not E's.   On the grand scale of GM there were not that many cars that used that transmission but most of the trucks used it so even today there are still a ton of em on the road.

All within a year, sometimes just a few hundred miles between changes.   

I will double check, but I believe he said I have the newer version of the transmission, not the version that came with the car.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TMoore - NTCLC

That is great that you saved this car - I saw the post, and if it had been closer, I would have taken a look at it - I just could not fathom a transmission issue that could not be resolved on these cars.  I got almost 300K miles on my 1994 Fleetwood, and only changed the transmission fluid at 100K intervals, and never had an issue.

Again, thanks for taking the chance and saving this one.

DaveZ

I 'm glad you guys got it figured out! Amazing that a GM dealer didn't know to check that since it is the same trans they use in the trucks.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Dave Shepherd

The transmission line pressures are controlled by the pcm, and the pcs, pressure control solenoid, if it is below what the pcm is programmed to see a code will be set. I mention this because it seems setting internal line pressures, is a pcm function, unless the pcm is reprogrammed. Not a mechanical adjustment.   Please correct me I am off base here.

Chuck Swanson

Yes, the way I understand it (not a transmission expert here), but not mechanical, and code(s) were showing incorrect. I did see a few codes on my portable OBD reader before I sent for repair (sensor, etc..), but not sure what the specific codes were that he saw, or even if they were from OBD reader or not when the guy checked, but I can follow up with him when I get a chance.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TJ Hopland

I wonder if its a calibration thing?  Maybe there isn't an absolute pressure sensor?  Maybe its like the timing works where you have put the computer in a special mode then set things to a specific setting so the computer knows where its starting?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason