News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac brakes pulling

Started by 60eldo, August 11, 2018, 06:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So my brakes are pulling to the right all look like new shoes. I agusted 10 times still pulling.
I backed off the right side still pulls to the right. Then I agusted the left side making the shoes real close and still pulls to the right. Bot cylinders are woking.  So today I looked at the 60 manuel and when I looked at the picture in the book then looked at my left wheel it appears that all was on backwads, so I changed everything. Let me ask you, would both front wheels be the same set up or are they opposit , so looking at the drivers wheel should the primary shoe be on the left and if looking at right side primary shoe should be on the right? Im confused. If I took pics of both sides with drum off could anyone tell me whats going on here. Also the right drum and rim were so hot I had to use a towel to remove it.
Jon. Kluczynski

gene harl

I would look  for a bad (pluged)  brake hose....
Gene Harl       clc22406

60eldo

Heres the right side,,, primary shoe at front or on my right as Im taking the pic
Jon. Kluczynski

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Just as Gene says. What is the status if your hoses? Just because they look good doesn't mean they are. Also, what have you done with your back brakes?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dave Shepherd

The primary shoe is actually always the the rearward shoe on this design brake system.

60eldo

Havent touch them , also the hose look brand new.
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

I just googled this,,,,, um-brakes-location-of-larger-shoe/40531
Dec 9, 2009 - Here is my view: The larger shoe should go forward, not rearward. ... The primary brake shoe is the front shoe and normally has a slightly. I just woke up and after spending my whole day doing brakes, mostly cause Ive never done it before and I dont have right tools ( getting these springs on with a screw driver is murder, one flew off and cut my hand) I wake up to see this. My primaries are facing the front bumper and you guys say it should be facing REAR???
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

The nibs rest against the support pads of the backing plate to which the shoes are installed. Each brake assembly has two shoes, a primary and secondary. The primary shoe is located toward the front of the vehicle and has the lining positioned differently from the secondary shoe, This is from google too
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

These pictures are from my old '60 CDV.   Sorry for the dusty pictures, but this is how they were when I pulled the drums, to see the condition of the shoes.

Notice that the short linings are at the front.   These are the leading shoes, and when the brakes are applied, the shoes expand, and the front shoe rides against the drum, causing the rear shoe to be applied with greater power to the drum face, and the top anchor bolt stops the shoe from rotating.   This creates great stopping power as the wheel cylinder piston is pushing forward.

Bruce. >:D   
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Get the correct tools. They are inexpensive and necessary when dealing with the springs.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

The rear shoe is self energizing as the drum rolls forward it pulls the shoe out against it, the front shoe assists in the this function, the shorter shoe if equipped  this way, is in the front. Drum brakes of this design remained  set up like this, til 4 wheel discs.

gkhashem

I have had hoses that looked new and were collapsed inside.

We are taking less than $20.  Sometimes its the obvious.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

35-709

"The primary shoe is smaller than the secondary shoe as far as lining goes"

Note: The primary or "leading shoe" at the front is the smaller shoe!  Primary does NOT mean larger in this case.

Put the shoes on correctly and change the brake hoses, you cannot tell the internal condition of the hoses by looking at the outside!  Thoroughly checking the brakes and changing the brake hoses is the first thing to do --- at least before driving the car. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

savemy67

Hello Johnny,

I believe G. Newcombe is correct.  The shoes designated as primary are toward the front of the car irrespective of which side of the car.  The shoes with the longer lining go to the rear of the car, as the lining facing the rear of the car has to do more work due to the self-energizing design of the brakes.  This seems counter-intuitive, and can be confusing.  A good understanding of how self-energizing brakes work will make installing the shoes in the correct location second-nature.

Another item you don't want to overlook is the installation of the star-wheel adjusters.  On my '67, they are side-specific.  This may be the case for your '60 as well.  Check the manual.  Brakes are one component where saving a few pennies is being pound foolish.  Working on brakes is not difficult.  As Brian said, the correct tools help alot.  Take your time, work carefully and thoroughly, and be safe.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only special tools you need is the ones circled in blue.   

The top one is the spring remover and replacer.   I think I purchased my tool about 50 years ago, and possibly a Lisle tool.

The bottom one is a brake adjusting lever.   But a bent screw driver will do just as well. 

The only other is a pair of pliers.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

Thanks guys for all your comments. So now after fixing and putting the primary shoes on correctly its still pulls to the right and also worth noting, the right drum while driving around town 20 minutes is very hot 200-300 degrees, left is cool. Im telling you I think its a inner bearing. Not the brakes.
Jon. Kluczynski

35-709

Take the car for a ride and then jack up the right side as soon as you get back and try to turn the right wheel.  If it is dragging or near impossible to turn, crack open the bleeder on that side and see if you get a good squirt of fluid out.  If you do, and the wheel now turns as easily as the left --- replace that brake hose.

Properly, the wheel bearings should have been cleaned and repacked when you had the wheels off to do the brakes --- you would have spotted a problem with a bearing then.  If you did not do that, now's the time, but I think it is the hose or even possibly one of the brake shoe springs has lost its temper and is not doing its job.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Cold brake on one side is an indication of not operating, and a hot brake on the other side is an indication of excess friction.

Have you actually observed the wheel cylinders in operation with the drums off?

Yes, I know this is fraught with danger, but if you position a large Clamp against the shoes, half way down, and give yourself a 3/16" gap, and have a friend press on the brake pedal, till you tell him, or her, to stop, observe the amount of movement at the top.   This way, you will see if the wheel cylinders are not frozen.

PS.   DO ONE WHEEL AT A TIME.   That is, don't let the other side hang free.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

When I jacked up the front and spun the wheels by hand both spin freely. And, when I did it again and had my buddy slowly put on the brakes both stopped. Let my say this. If tomorrow I go to the highway stop on the ramp sit there 30 minutes til all is cold. Go for a 20 in. drive not touching the brakes at all , and pull over coasting to a stop and the right side is over heating,,,then its the bearring right???
Jon. Kluczynski

35-709

Could be.  I would think a bearing that bad would be making some noise, even when you just spin the wheel by hand.  Certainly would like to know what you find!   :)