News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My '59 restoration the search begins

Started by 66/440, August 12, 2018, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66/440

I am in the process of restoring my father-in-laws '59 series 62.  This is a body off restoration and I am beginning the search for parts. There are 2 isolators for the exhaust underneath the rear floor pan that I need to source. The exhaust passes through these and they keep it from vibrating against the chassis. I am sure there are other exhaust hangers and isolators that I will need so any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
CLC Member 28906

59-in-pieces

Glenn,

May I assume by doing a frame off restoration you will attempt to return the car to as close as MONEY and availability of OEM parts will allow - if so, my kinda guy.
I trust you have invested in a Master Parts Book and a Shop Manual, both of which will become invaluable, along with a 17x24 laminated and color coded electrical diagram.

I have seen on line some after market pieces of rubber which were not made of the same original material nor the proper thickness, and the holes were misplaced with incorrectly sized - not worth the money.

The original exhaust hangers were made from old tire carcasses, even to the point they often showed parts of the white sidewall in them.

Do you intend to "rebuild" the remaining hangers (where the rubber portions are worn or missing) - if you have them all, which include the metal brackets, hardware, and their clamps - and are you ready to do some riveting.
If that is the case, I would invest in at least one - maybe 2 - 18 wheeler truck mud flaps.
The mud flaps should be the ones that have cord within for reinforcement, and they are the same thickness and flexibility as the original material.
You can then trace the insulators you need to replace, drill the 4 holes ea., hole saw the larger hole through which the exhaust pipe passes, and mount them with the hardware that was in the insulators you show in your photo.

There are a fair number of the membership who own 59's and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to offer up upon request.

By the way, WE thrive on photos, so don't withhold - post away at every step of your restoration adventure, and share with us your level of experience, so we don't talk down to you out of our ignorance.

Have fun,
Steve B.
My Avatar doesn't tell the story, but my member name does.
S. Butcher

66/440

Steve,
Thanks for the excellent advice on using mud flaps to reproduce the exhaust hangers/isolators. I was considering using old conveyor belt but I think that the mud flaps may be easier to source especially with regards to a similar thickness.
Thanks for the suggestion on research materials and yes I do have the the parts book, shop manual and recently arrived 11 x 17 wiring diagram.
With regard to the type of restoration I will be undertaking, there will be some changes to improve daily drive ability but for the most part it will be all original. I should state that I am not planning on a concours type restoration in that the car will be driven 4 or 5 thousand miles a year by my wife. For that reason it must be safe, dependable and easy to start and operate. As an example, I am having the original radiator re-cored using the original tanks and mounting brackets. However the core itself will be a high efficiency 4 core triple pass with a larger internal transmission cooler. I live in Texas and temperature and humidity don't play well with a car in heavy traffic in the summer time with the AC on. With regard to the AC the car has a dealer installed unit that I will be reusing since it was period correct to the car but I will change the condenser to a high efficiency multi-pass unit. Similar looks but better engineering. The original after market compressor was a York (Ford) style compressor but will be exchanged for a new style Sanden. So with the exception of a few safety and comfort changes it will be original.
I hesitate to state a level of experience as you suggested because no matter your experience level there is someone who has an idea,a source or an experience  to share that could be valuable who might think, Oh he should already know that when in actuality I don't so please any and all offer your advice and if I have to say this, your opinions. I might learn something or see something in a different light.

I have started a thread in the restoration forum and will be organizing and posting my disassembly photos. I have literally thousands and since I cant post them all if someone is in need of something specific ask and I will see if I have it.

Looking forward to your comments.

Glenn
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
CLC Member 28906

JoeKarasinski

I bought all the hangers off ebay (very expensive) but they appear to be the same as the ones that came on the car.