News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power steering pump install..

Started by jims427400, August 13, 2018, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims427400

So I've sent out my power steering pump for rebuild. Is there an article on how to reinstall it and do I bleed it like I would a set of brakes?

Jim

savemy67

Hello Jim,

The installation of the pump should be the reverse of the removal of the pump.  The shop manual should have the bleeding procedure.

When one bleeds brakes, fluid is expelled at the wheel cylinders, never to be reused, and new fluid is added to the master cylinder.  Generally, when bleeding power steering, no fluid is expelled from the system.  The bleeding process forces air in the system to the pump reservoir (the highest point in the system) where it can escape to the atmosphere.

I don't recall if your other posts mentioned you were sending out your steering gear box to Lares, or just your pump.  If you sent only the pump, your steering gear box will have old fluid in it.  You can bleed your system, but you may want to suck out the fluid in the reservoir a few times to remove as much of the old fluid as possible.

If your steering gear box was rebuilt, then there will be alot of air in the system.  When you bleed the system, you may want to have an assistant in the car while you keep an eye on the fluid level in the pump.

If you are interested, you can read my steering pump and gear restoration posts here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.60

Scroll down to reply #76.

One way to bleed the system initially is to raise the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheels lock to lock without the engine running.  You may have to turn the wheels 20 to 50 times to force most of the air out of the system this way.  You can bleed the system with the engine running with the wheels on the ground, but do not hold the wheels at lock for more than one second.  Again, the manual should have the bleeding procedure.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

jims427400

Christopher,
The pump is going to Lares. The gear box is not being rebuilt. Hopefully that won't be a problem. I'll check my service manual for a to do list.
Thanks
Jim

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I always love telling this story. Had a 72 Mercury in hi school. Rusted to the hilt. Blew a power steering line. I replaced it but didn't bleed it-didn't know any better. For a couple of days everytime I was at a stop light I could take my hands off the wheel and they would turn to the right all by themselves.
When you bleed it, do it like Christopher says-per the manual
If the wheels need to be off the ground then raise them.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

Quote from: jims427400 on August 13, 2018, 07:31:38 PM
So I've sent out my power steering pump for rebuild. Is there an article on how to reinstall it and do I bleed it like I would a set of brakes?

System needs to be flushed or they won't warranty it. Also, don't forget to add an in-line filter on your return side. Simple things that could make a difference in the life expectancy of your new pump.
                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

jims427400

Great story Jeff..

Bobby,
What kind of inline filter?

Bobby B

Jim,
Hi. It's a thin filter that pushes INTO the return line. You can remove it after a while. They're cheap. Lares might have them....You can also use an external one, looks like a small fuel filter and cut it into your Return Hose. Either way, it's all good.....
                                                                                                      Bobby

Inline Style:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB351001

External Style:
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=power%20steering%20filter%20in%20hose
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

year, make & model?  If mid 60's or newer thru to 80's or so, just reinstall turn wheels lock to lock after filling and top off as needed - super easy.

If the steering gear is leaking, it should be replaced/rebuilt.  I replaced the steering gear on my 1970 RWD Cadillac and that was one of the very best drive ability improvements that I did.  Much tighter and newer feeling.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty