News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Removing the horn button on a 1968 DeVille

Started by wingercasey, August 13, 2018, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingercasey

I want to install a signal light switch in my 1968 DeVille convertible. The problem is that I can not remove the horn button, which is the first step. The steering wheel has three spokes, each of which has a hole which, I would think, is where I should put my Phillips screwdriver in to extract three screws and then remove the horn button. I have been unable to remove the screws. What am I doing wrong? What is the trick? Thank you.

Highwayman68

First: Go on eBay and purchase a Shop Manual on CD!

Here are the instructions from the shop manual.

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Julien Abrahams

If the '68 , steeerung wheel resembkes a '67 steering wheel, the at the bach of the wheel you will find three holes. Remove th screws inside with a Phillips screwdriver. The horn pad will come off. Be carefuk ypyou don't bendor loosen the springs.

1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

wingercasey

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate the help. I ordered what I thought was the shop manual, but I received the 1968 Body By Fisher manual instead. I will do as you suggest and order the CD.

wingercasey

Thanks, Julien,
When I got my eyeballs lined up through my multifocal lenses and the light just right to look in the three holes, I found that the screws are slot head screws. I expected Phillips. I got the screws out and back in. When I got it apart, I had the wrong repair kit. Maybe they gave me one for a car without the tilt/telescopic feature. I couldn't see any way to get the plastic switch part out - it seems bigger than the opening at the top of the steering column. I decided to live with it, so I put it back together. The signal lights work, but I have to hold the lever up to signal a right turn.

Highwayman68

The tilt/Telescopic column is not the same as the standard straight colmn. The part you are looking for is very hard to find and is usually very expensive.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981