News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Squeaky noise coming out of ‘78 Eldorado engine bay. Belt?

Started by Tornike, August 14, 2018, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornike

My 1978 Eldorado has been having squeaky noise coming from the engine since I got it several days ago. It goes away after 5mins or less. Sometimes comes back briefly. Rarely it won’t squeak at all.
The car has been sitting since 2012 and I’m pretty sure it’s coming from those rubber belts. They don’t have much play when I push the finger, and seem to be well aligned. Don’t see any serious cracks either.
I guess could be surface rust that interacts with rubber or could be a bad something else. ?
To Somehow diagnose the rest of the parts, I’m thinking of changing the belts (both of them) as they aren’t that expensive at Autozone, as long as changing them isn’t huge of a deal.

My question is, how straightforward is it to change the belts on 1978 Eldorado? Is there anything to keep in mind? Any tips or good sources you can refer me to?

Right now everything seems to be working fine except of that annoying noise that comes on and then goes away after few minutes.

TJ Hopland

Alternator belt would be the most likely one.   At first its working hard to try and recharge the battery from the start.    Being such a small pulley it doesn't get a lot of grip on the belt and it doesn't help that modern belts don't seem to be quite the same shape as the originals.   If the tension feels good what I would do is clean then lightly scuff up the inside of the alternator pulley.   One time out of frustration I really went crazy on a pulley thinking having to replace the belt in a year would be better than having it squeal all the time.   Ran 40k over 3 years with no more wear than the other belts on the car. 

The alternator belt isn't hard to change and tension because the alternator is the tensioner.  It and its bolts are easy to access and there are places to pry.   The big pain one on these cars is the PS/AC.   Its tensioned by the power steering pump.  Its like GM went out of their way to put the bolts in hard to reach places and had a special design team to make sure there wasn't an easy place to pry.   Could have been the same team that designed the smog pump belt on cars so equipped but most 78's didn't have em so not a problem here.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tornik,
A squealing can come from several sources.  Number one aside from the belts would be the Air pump. Then you have the water pump and the alternator.  If the noise is there when the car is cold and then goes away I might suggest determining what the source is by waiting until the car is cold and removing the three belts AC/PS, Alternator/water pump, and the air pump if so equipped.  With the belts off, check each of the rotating components by turning them by hand to find the noisy culprit.
Changing all the belts would probably be good since they are old and the car has been sitting letting the belts take a "set".  BE SURE that the belts you get are the correct width and pitch, as well of course as the correct length. There are several replacement belts listed "as correct" with different widths, but unless you have the correct width the belt will not ride in the pulley groove correctly and life expectancy is greatly reduced. The  AC/Power steering belt should be 0.500 inches as is the Air pump. The Alternator/water pump belt is 0.410 inches.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jakes

I just wanted to add my two-cents to Greg Surfas' good advice.  I also have a 78 Eldo.  When I replaced the AC compressor I not wisely used the same belt and the unit would squeal for a few seconds after turning on.  I did my research and discovered subtle (?) differences in belt applications for the car, particularly belt length.  See the attached table from the shop manual and note the dimensions.  The belts I used were: PS/AC -- Dayco 17600 or Gates 9600; Alternator (assuming its 63 amp) -- Dayco 15380 or Gates 7380; Air Pump -- Dayco 15445 or Gates 7445

Because the AC/PS belt rides on a small segment of the AC compressor pully, the belt has to be tensioned to the high side of the indicated range, otherwise it'll slip and squeal.  As TJ pointed out, the tensioning is a pain because you have to pull hard on the PS pump pivot.  I fashioned a "pry bar" from a long piece of hardwood which worked pretty well.  Once the belt is tensioned properly there's not much "give" when pressing on the open segment. 

Regards..
Paul Jacobs
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

35-709

There is a "special tool" to tighten the power steering pump/AC belt, it is easy to make and the "How to make it instructions" are on page 9-30 in the 1973 Cadillac Shop Manual and I ASSume in other year manuals also.  Makes it easy to tension the belt.  Pulling on the PS reservoir or using a pry bar against it is a definite NO-NO!  To quote the shop manual, "Do not pull or pry on pump reservoir."  This tool should also work on just about any PS pump GM made back in that era to properly tighten the belt.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jakes

In reply to G. Newcombe.. where was my head?? -- you're absolutely right: DO NOT pry on the PS reservoir -- it says so in the shop manual!  Sorry for the misleading advice.  Thx for setting me straight.  It's been so long, I don't remember exactly how I was able to tension the belt.  I must have used my hardwood pry bar to wedge against the PS bracket, but definitely NOT the pump. The 77 shop manual (applies to 78 in this case) also has a schematic for making a tensioning tool.  I've attached a photo of the pertinent pages.  The 78 Eldo has the Hydroboost PS system, so note the position of the tool in the pump casting in the photo below
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

35-709

:)  A little different from the adjuster in my '73 manual but the same in principle.

bcroe

Part of the problem comes from a small pulley and not enough
degrees of belt wrap around the pulley.  Alternator pulleys come
in a lot of different dia, not too hard to change.  The right tool
really helps. 

I see the K car also on the drawings, the Olds engine belts bugged
me for a decade.  My 81 had a far superior belt setup, which I
converted 4 other Olds engines to with yard parts and little difficulty. 
Bruce Roe

76eldo

Old mechanics trick to figure out which belt is squealing:

Take something that you can dribble a few drops of water out of and wet each belt just a little bit. The water will stop the squealing for a few seconds when you get the right belt just a little wet.

Never use any kind of "belt dressing" spray on belts. It ruins them.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Tornike

As per Brian’s advice I sprayed just a little water to the pulleys one by one. And I’m almost certain I found one. It looks to be an Air pump + fan belt squeaking from the lower pulley.
Is that bottom pulley anything else other than just a pulley?
Is it easy to replace that belt? Attaching photos

The Tassie Devil(le)

With the size of the belt, in relation to the size of the pulley, I am tipping that there is minimal side-wall contact, as it looks like it is running too deep in the groove.

Bruce >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

"Is that bottom pulley anything else other than just a pulley?"
That is your A.I.R. (Air Injection Reactor) pump pulley and Bruce is right, that belt looks too narrow for the application.  Be mindful of that belt and its condition, if it fails you lose your water pump and Alternator, but the water pump will be of the most immediate concern.

35-709

If you don't know the age of that AIR pump you might consider replacing it just for peace of mind.  A common failure mode for those things is the bearing seizes and then (once again) you lose your water pump and alternator.  I am not all that familiar with AIR pumps, with the few I have had I got rid of them right away with an AIR pump eliminator kit.  Might be the bearing that is squeaking now but not being there that is just conjecture on my part.

Tornike

Thanks for the feedback.
The AIR belt seems to have the most play when I push a finger. Which part do I loosen to replace the belt?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tornike,
From what I can see of the pictures it really looks like time to change ALL your belts. An explanation of what and where to loosen the bolts of both the PS/AC belt and the air pump are in my opinion best left to the FSM, since a few of these "Monkey motions" are counter intuitive.
The bolts at the front and rear brackets of the AIR pump should be loosened and the pump swings on its brackets.
You cannot remove this belt until you remove a couple of the others and they all look like they need replacement.
Tbhe actual size and the belt WIDTH are listed in the FSM.  Be sure the belts ou get meet these specs as a lot of belts being sold as replacements are too narrow.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

gkhashem

I should not bother reading these threads since it seems to always come down to someone wanting to change only one belt, one hose, one wheel cylinder, or one brake hose.

Can we get some common sense here. You buy a car that's been sitting for years and has most likely been neglected. Or the guy selling is so cheap he does not want to spend a dime more on the car.

Why not change all the fluids, all the belts, all the hoses, all the wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes, and brake hoses. Also throw in the thermostat too. I often do the valve cover gaskets if I see them leaking. Then the spark plugs, clean the carb if she runs like she needs it and maybe spark plug wires if they look 50 years old and a tune up. (with all the parts that may be needed.) Most of this you can do yourself too if you need to save some money. Which I am all for doing too.

The biggest parts cost may be the tires.  Leaving out the tires what does all that I have mentioned above cost for parts and fluids? Maybe $200.00 to $250.00 tops excluding the tires?

But here we are changing one belt  or one hose? On a car that you know little about, that let's face it has been neglected for a time!. This is especially foolish on brakes as I am reading in another thread.

I guess I am not sensitive to the fact you do not have the money to do this. But you had the funds to buy the car?

Wow I am never amazed anymore.  With that said if anyone buys one of my cars, most likely all you need to do is turn the key.

I must be a fool I guess, since I always do the routine maintenance on cars I have just bought.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

bcroe

Quote from: gkhashem
Why not change all the fluids, all the belts, all the hoses, all the wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes, and brake hoses. Also throw in the thermostat too. I often do the valve cover gaskets if I see them leaking. Then the spark plugs, clean the carb if she runs like she needs it and maybe spark plug wires if they look 50 years old and a tune up. (with all the parts that may be needed.) Most of this you can do yourself too if you need to save some money. Which I am all for doing too.

The biggest parts cost may be the tires.  Leaving out the tires what does all that I have mentioned above cost for parts and fluids? Maybe $200.00 to $250.00 tops excluding the tires?   

All those things are actually quite cheap if you can do it yourself.  I
think a lot cheaper than on some late models.  It even includes a
timing chain replacement and trans remove/refresh here.  Things
like minor leaks might get postponed  after all critical functions are
taken care of.  Bruce Roe

Tornike

Quote from: Jakes on August 16, 2018, 04:12:21 PM
In reply to G. Newcombe.. where was my head?? -- you're absolutely right: DO NOT pry on the PS reservoir -- it says so in the shop manual!  Sorry for the misleading advice.  Thx for setting me straight.  It's been so long, I don't remember exactly how I was able to tension the belt.  I must have used my hardwood pry bar to wedge against the PS bracket, but definitely NOT the pump. The 77 shop manual (applies to 78 in this case) also has a schematic for making a tensioning tool.  I've attached a photo of the pertinent pages.  The 78 Eldo has the Hydroboost PS system, so note the position of the tool in the pump casting in the photo below

Surprisingly, according to the page 6B-12 from the same manual, Tensioning the steering pump belt is much easier and requires loosening 1 top adjusting nut and two lower bolts, and tightening them again. They don’t mention using custom tool from page 3B-24. Am I missing something?