News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Craigs List Ad Finds

Started by BJM, August 14, 2018, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I keep posting CL ad finds on the Buy/Sell and it occurred to me - with the format of the forum it can quickly push down a legitimate ad from a CLC member.   Should I stop, group a whole bunch of ads in one post, or leave it alone ?

savemy67

Hello Bryan,

I like to see your postings.  You can consider grouping them, but I hope you don't consider eliminating them.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

James Landi

Bryan--- you and a few others keep this conversation going regarding what Glenn Brown refers to an old Cadillac purchasing affliction.   Please do keep us thinking,  and engaging in finer points of dreaming.  Regarding you concern, when a CLC member lists a car, there certainly is a presumption that there's real value and no hidden defects, so if I were seriously interested in purchasing a car this week, it would be Dan LaBanc's 70 ---no question   James

tripwire

I would vote for grouping the listings all together.  I don't want them to go away but sometimes it does make it difficult to see the other postings.

My 2¢

Wes in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

BJM

Quote from: tripwire on August 14, 2018, 06:35:29 PM
I would vote for grouping the listings all together.  I don't want them to go away but sometimes it does make it difficult to see the other postings.

My 2¢

Wes in VT

Wes
I agree.   I was leaning that way because when a member goes to the trouble to list something they want to sell and then I go crazy finding cars of interest, the read ad can end up at the bottom pretty quickly. 

harry s

I like them too.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

chrisntam

Keep the Craigslist ads coming!

The seller can bump his add to the top at any time.  Surfas does it all the time and it works!

The whole idea of the club is to keep these monsters on the road, if one or two ads find their way to club buyers, then all the better!  It also allows us to keep our fingers on the pulse of the Craigslist Cadillac Market.

Keep 'em coming!

8)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'd REALLY like to hear that someone on the board ACTUALLY bought one of these cars!!! Has anyone done it? Don't be shy.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Scot Minesinger

I would like to see a change on our buy sell forum, mainly making it always mandatory to start with the year and to have the cars and parts separated.  For every one car there are five parts.

Oh yes and the answer to your question is yes, please post as you have.  If members did not post these advertisements this part of the forum would be sparse.  I bought my 1970 Cadillac SDV on Craigs list.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Carl Fielding

I appreciate your taking so much time to bring these ads up. And that green low mileage 1973 sedan with the 60/40 leather interior was love at first sight for a couple grand. It is fun to get low mileage Cadillacs back on the road. I had one like that. '73 Cads are very good cars. I felt mine handled somewhat better than the cars preceding it for several years. They do rust. I scornfully put up with vinyl roofs under duress only because I have to. I would just take the easy way out with that one. Peel, wheel, phosphoric acid, spray zinc, goop and cover. Do it from time to time. But for those of you who really know how to do it right, it would be a labor of love. And that one will need plenty.   Thanks, Bryan!  -  Carl

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Keep posting those.  You come up with some interesting
finds and it's an enjoyable pastime to check them out!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Caddy Wizard

Keep posting.  I have purchased cars from craigslist ads from far away, including my current car...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

D.Smith

Keep the postings separate.   The Title is what grabs our attention.

If a club member seller is serious he/she will check on their posting often and "bump" it up as needed. 

Seems like many of the listings are first time posters that never come back to read them.

BJM

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 14, 2018, 09:50:01 PM
I'd REALLY like to hear that someone on the board ACTUALLY bought one of these cars!!! Has anyone done it? Don't be shy.
Bob

Bob
Browsing cars for sale has been my coffee drinking Sunday morning hobby for at least 10 years. I used to post a lot on the AACA Forum Buick section.   The postings there did result in a few sales. But overall the percentage is very low. 

We generally have all the cars we want now but because of the nature of the hobby are always curious what is still out there. 

These are essentially artifacts of a bygone era. I do post more modern cars simply because that is where the inventory seems to be.  But the 70's and 80's in some respects - are still old. 

BJM

Quote from: chrisntam on August 14, 2018, 09:31:15 PM
Keep the Craigslist ads coming!

The seller can bump his add to the top at any time.  Surfas does it all the time and it works!

The whole idea of the club is to keep these monsters on the road, if one or two ads find their way to club buyers, then all the better!  It also allows us to keep our fingers on the pulse of the Craigslist Cadillac Market.

Keep 'em coming!

8)

Thanks.  Yes the market valuation is why I monitor the postings here, even from other sellers.  I noticed yesterday that a few cars that Eric put on are sold.  (Or Ad Deleted, which is usually a sale vs. Ad Expired, no sale) 

I looked at a Brown Sedan deVille in Pittsburgh he posted and wanted to follow up and it is sold. ($4000)

I looked at the "Triple Black" late 70's with the red pinstripe and it has sold. ($4000 or so)

I looked up that "Peppers Green" 1980 Fleetwood that I spotted for $5400, ad expired.  I texted the seller and it is 'unsold' and she said she would take $4K for it. (This was the Bright Green and White Leather one owner car in Minnesota) 

So collectively I try and remember these prices and try to see trends, in seasons. As we all know, winter is a bad time to try and sell a convertible, that sort of thing...

BJM

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 15, 2018, 12:03:40 AM
I would like to see a change on our buy sell forum, mainly making it always mandatory to start with the year and to have the cars and parts separated.  For every one car there are five parts.

Oh yes and the answer to your question is yes, please post as you have.  If members did not post these advertisements this part of the forum would be sparse.  I bought my 1970 Cadillac SDV on Craigs list.

I agree that separating out parts for sale would be an excellent idea because I am considering purchasing that 1949 CdV local to me, and I need a lot, including a motor, a left rear fender, and having parts separated would make it easier. 

BJM

Quote from: Carl Fielding on August 15, 2018, 01:42:58 AM
I appreciate your taking so much time to bring these ads up. And that green low mileage 1973 sedan with the 60/40 leather interior was love at first sight for a couple grand. It is fun to get low mileage Cadillacs back on the road. I had one like that. '73 Cads are very good cars. I felt mine handled somewhat better than the cars preceding it for several years. They do rust. I scornfully put up with vinyl roofs under duress only because I have to. I would just take the easy way out with that one. Peel, wheel, phosphoric acid, spray zinc, goop and cover. Do it from time to time. But for those of you who really know how to do it right, it would be a labor of love. And that one will need plenty.   Thanks, Bryan!  -  Carl

Carl, thank you.   I think I have posted before that I am in a "perfect storm" of age, daughter headed to college, saving for retirement, and just plain bills - and have the Cadillac and old car collection disease. 

I believe every collection deserves 2 cars although if I had ONE nice one that would "probably" do.  In the case of the car I believe you are referring to, I believe $1700 or so buys that car and another $1000 in parts puts it on the road and looking good. 

I can live with those rust bubbles under the base of the vinyl top for $2700 invested, driving it around on a crisp fall day.  I had a 73 Electra Limited with similar rust under the vinyl in one spot and a dent in the drivers front fender - purchased for $2500 from a one owner garage, with 67K miles.  The rust never got worse, and I could care less.  For a $7500 car?  Yes you want a better car. 

Then with that car you can buy a more expensive car.  There - you have 2 - you have a collection, a daughter in college, retirement funded!  A perfect world.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I agree with keeping them separate. I enjoy reading the comments. I learn a lot about the cars that way and many of the people on here have a great eye for detail.
Jeff
And we found the 55 on Craigslist.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille