News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The HT4100 engine - bad in all years?

Started by J.C., August 19, 2018, 07:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, Guys,
I'm thinking I want to by an '85 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe but I've heard the HT4100 engines are a disaster and nothing but trouble.  Were those engines bad in all years, or did Cadillac have it straightened around by '85?  All responses appreciated!!
John
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

D.Smith

Quote from: J.C. on August 19, 2018, 07:37:07 PM
Hi, Guys,
I've heard the HT4100 engines are a disaster and nothing but trouble.  Were those engines bad in all years?

Yes. 

Beautiful cars!   But the HT4100 will let you down. 

Unless you are going to transplant a 5.0 or 5.7 liter engine in one, don't pay more for an HT4100 equipped car than you are willing to walk away from.

35-709

Quote from: D.Smith on August 19, 2018, 08:05:31 PM
Unless you are going to transplant a 5.0 or 5.7 liter engine in one, don't pay more for an HT4100 equipped car than you are willing to walk away from.
And that's the bottom line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

G Pennington

Didn't they come out with a 4.5 liter version in 1988?  Was it any better (durability-wise) than the 1982-87 HT4100?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

V63

He’s probably wanting a RWD full size fleetwood brougham coupe...1985 was the last year of the aluminum 4.1 in those. The transverse FWD version aluminum motors had different block casting and were not interchangeable. The transverse FWD 4.5 version was indeed a better motor, just can’t swap it with a RWD 4.1.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The trouble with the 4100 engine is that there's every possibility the engine will be damaged beyond repair should major disassembly be needed. You can soak bolts until the cows come home but they will not budge - that is, until something cracks apart - instantly transforming the engine into a boat anchor and replacement is your only option. Replacement once cost me over $3,000 in a 1983 Fleetwood Brougham back in 2006; same job could well run over $5,000 today. OR you can walk away from all that and just stick with model years with known reliable engines in the first place.

Secondly, HT4100's performance is simply dreadful - especially in the full size RWD models. These cars struggle to keep up with traffic on even modest grades and acceleration is barely adequate, if you can call it that. 4 speed metric transmission in the 4100 years is no better either.

As beautiful as the full size 82-85 RWD Cadillacs were otherwise, their good qualities are overwhelmed by the bad. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have heard that there was an "improved" engine in 1985 after so and so serial #s. I have them for Eldorado/Sevilles but not for the full-sized cars, or even if they did so for them. This is not to say that they were improved like the 4.5 was improved, but if you are really wild about the Fleetwood coupe, someone might chime in on this "possibility." ???
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

HT4100 was marginally improved over the years but main bearings were always weak in these cars. Even main bearings in 4.5/4.9 became noisy over time but they'd still run and replacement was not difficult (nor super expensive) in FWD cars. Not so in RWD models.

Even something as simple & straightforward like a water pump is a major headache on an HT4100 at this age.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

The 4100 was just terrible every year.  Do not buy a 4.1 powered Cadillac.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cape Cod Fleetwood

My '87 FWD 'Commonwealth Edition' SDV was one of the prettiest cars I ever owned. Red, black 1/4 cloth top, opera lights, Rolls Royce grill, pin striped, digital dash, leather interior, wire wheels, it was gorgeous. And previously owned by a local radio personality. Loved that car! Then the anti freeze flooded the engine...

Somehow, by the Grace of God, Ritchie Olsen got Cadillac to pay for the repair after it was towed to his dealership from New Hampshire.

I'll keep that car a wonderful memory, and not another purchase. YMMV.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all