News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado final drive output shaft seals

Started by danjarrett1, August 19, 2018, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

I am going to replace the driver's side output shaft very soon as the boot was split and all grease has been distributed along the bottom side of the car and wheel assembly...what a mess!  I have the replacement shaft ready for install but got the thinking about the output shaft seal mounts in the final drive. It appears to be seeping so, I thought now would be the time to replace while the shaft is removed. I've gone to my traditional supply lines, OPGI, USA parts, Caddy Daddy, etc. what's troubling is that prices for the seals range from $15 to $79 for each side.  Can't I magi ever why there is such a disparity in pricing...are they providing the exact same seal? Does. Anyone out there have any recent experience in trying to locate these seals? Don't mind paying a fair price for A part but...something doesn't add up for me.
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

These seals are special in that they have vent holes drilled into the side, and these must be mounted with the holes uppermost.

Prices will vary, but, boy, the differences you showed is huge.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   When I have to buy some, I will be pulling out the original, taking to my local supplier, getting a replacement normal seal, and drilling it to match the original, that is if it is possible, as there could be some internal differences.   Heck, I should go and pull one from my spare and see if there is anything extra special about them.   One day.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

danjarrett1

Thanks Bruce, I was aware of the vent holes from the depiction in the repair manual but wasn’t sure of their exact placement. Some of the parts ads I’ve refer to the seal as a pinion seal, I’ve been searching specifically for plus for the drivers side, I would have thought they would be the same seal. Interested in learning what you find out from your extra parts bin!
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

bcroe

The pinion seals are a different animal, a pair back to back to keep
final drive oil and trans oil from mixing. 

These parts I get from the GMC motorhome places.  Bruce Roe

danjarrett1

I figured the pinion seal was for that purpose,,you’re right...I forgot about the GM motorhome reaource!
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Jenyk

If anyone must replace the shaft boot on the outer side (original ones did not last long in my case), then SKF VKJP 1411 is correct replacement, and is far more durable.
Caddies in the Heart of Europe
---------------------------------------
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
1993 Cadillac Sixty Special