News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The Cadillac Hour. 1978 commercial

Started by D.Smith, August 20, 2018, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Great commercial, so applicable even today.  I work at home now.  Back in the late 90's and early 2000's my 1995 Fleetwood RWD was my daily driver, and it was many times the best hour of the professional day for me during the drive home.  It really did go to work soothing and de-stressing all with top performance.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Great commercial.

All it needed was 'ol JR Ewing at the wheel and they probably couldn't have built '78 Fleetwood Broughams fast enough. Make that Rodeo Brown...er...Rudioso Brown for the ranch.

Thanks for the blast from the past.  8)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

Years later J.R. did end up driving a Cadillac on Dallas, a silver Allante.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Notice how he has to change the radio station when he gets into the car?

I wouldn't be using that valet parking if they messed with my radio.

Hang on, I don't use valet parking, as nobody but me drives my car whilst I am owning it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

STS05lg

Bruce,

That is a problem here in the states. When I take any of my modern cars into the dealer for service and the first thing one has to do is reset the power seat and reset the radio when picking it up. I don't know why the dealerships do not tell their drivers to leave the radio alone. I understand they may have to move the seat to drive the car but they could remember to put it back to where it was when they got in.

And you are correct, never use valet parking. I have watched how some of those drivers handle the cars. And you are are correct. NEVER let anyone under 40 drive one of your 1970's cars. They don't know how to drive them. Thank goodness Cadillacs do not have a three on the tree.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hope all is well.

Lynn

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: STS05lg on August 20, 2018, 09:23:19 PM
Thank goodness Cadillacs do not have a three on the tree.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Lynn 
Or a starter like the older Buicks.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I do not let a valet drive my car.

You never know with these commercials, the guy probably listed to news on the drive in to work and music on the drive home (or vice versa).  You cannot park the Cadillac in a garage after arriving home because that would not film well, or he was going out to dinner with the wife soon after arriving home.

In a classic car magazine there was an add for a 1964 Cadillac and it showed a business suited guy walking away from the Cadillac and the lights were on.  The magazine made fun of it because who walks away with lights on.  I guess they did not know Cadillac had twilight sentinel, which was the point of the advertisement.

The message is received though, great looking car and wonderful to drive.  Ends the stress at the conclusion of the work day.  I remember it very well 20 years ago in my 1995 Fleetwood RWD.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TC

In high school I was a valet in Washington D.C. parking cars at high-end restaurants, and country clubs. We all did many things with those cars that any teenage boy would do so suspicions about valets are correct.

Our boss was tired of getting complaints and we were told to never play or switch the radio stations. Soon realizing we were going to play the radio anyway, he came up with a good strategy by asking us to return the radio to the station to where it was or at least press one of the radio presets so the radio was on "their" music.