News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

what steering columns are compatible with a 1969 eldorado

Started by pschivo, August 20, 2018, 01:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pschivo

Greetings,

I have a 1969 Eldorado which has some ignition issues related to a damaged ignition actuater and possibly other components related. Instead of dismantling the steering column, I'm thinking about replacing the steering column. My question is what steering columns are compatible with mine? My column has tilt and telescoping

Scot Minesinger

The modified Cadillac chapter may be more helpful.  Few of us on this forum enjoy this type of experience, as we are trying more to preserve the original look of these cars.  Economically it is best to replace with good used, and convert steering wheel to 1970.  The rim blow horns (1969 only) do not work well and a 1970 steering wheel would fit, and the center pad horn activation works fantastic. 

By this time GM had begun more standardization work, and the column may have available replacements that were intended for muscle cars of this era.  Lucky for us Caddy collectors support of muscle car parts is a huge benefit, as many mechanical parts are common to Chevy - up thru Cadillac.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

pschivo

Thanks Scot,

More specifically, I have access to a 1969 Cadillac steering column that may or may not be an Eldorado, it's probably from a Deville. Would a Deville steering column and/or it's parts work in my 69 Eldorado?

pschivo

More specifically, what Cadillac steering columns would be compatible with my 1969 Eldorado steering column for parts?

67_Eldo

As you may already know, "Cadillac George" will sell you a column that he says will fit. It'll cost you a cool $1k, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-1970-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-DEVILLE-TILT-TELESCOPING-STEERING-COLUMN-/183370312566

The parts listing I have sets the complete 1969 column apart with its own number -- 7804338 -- and that surprises me a bit. I figured it would be interchangeable with a 1970, at least. But if you trust only Cadillac, the 69 column is only a 69 column.

I've seen aftermarket columns installed in sixth-generation Eldorados as well. Of course, when you do that, you trade the use of the original shift-position indicator with whatever indicator your new column has.

If I were you, I'd search out (on Google, not eBay) a real 1969 Eldorado column. Then, before I installed it, I'd rebuild the turn-signal mechanism and make sure the telescoping lock mechanism firmly holds the wheel in any telescoped position.

Good luck!

Scot Minesinger

The Eldorado is of course a front drive and the steering was different from a RWD.  I do not know if a RWD column will work in a FWD Cadillac, certain aspects of it will of course, but the connection to steering gear and geometry may be different.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty