News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Leaf Springs for a 1957 Cadillac supplier recomended

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 21, 2018, 11:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    i always plan and try to do a little bit of work  to my car in the off season .Last year i replaced front wheel bearing and was able to locate 4 good original drums with plenty of surface to re cut .  This year i would like to change the Leaf Springs . Before doing so how do you know that your leaf springs are tired and need replacing ? The car sits fine. the leaf springs are 60 years old . Again what is a tell tail sign that the leaf spring should be replaced . And if so can any body recommend  a source for good quality Springs

Thank you ,
        Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

35-709

The measurements for the ride heights and where to measure them from are in your shop manual.  I would start there and see just how much the springs are really sagging, if at all.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jaxops

I went through Stengel Brothers.  I had to have mine custom made for 11 leaves for the 49 limousine.https://www.stengelbros.net/INDEX.HTML
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Carl Schreiber

Bill -

One other thing you may want to consider - shop manual shows an optional 6-leaf heavy duty spring having been available.  Perhaps worth considering.  Hope all is well

Regards, Carl

Jon S

Quote from: Carl Schreiber on August 22, 2018, 11:45:20 AM
Bill -

One other thing you may want to consider - shop manual shows an optional 6-leaf heavy duty spring having been available.  Perhaps worth considering.  Hope all is well

Regards, Carl

I would stick with the regular springs; not heavy duty ones unless you plan to haul a trailer.  Most aftermarket springs make the car too high in the rear and destroys the look of the car.  I agree start with the shop manual measurements and the springs although over 60 years old may still be in perfect condition.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: 57shark82 on August 21, 2018, 11:07:05 AM
Eaton Springs or this Ebay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REAR-LEAF-SPRINGS-FOR-1954-1957-CADILLAC-5-LEAF/352224833203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Quote from: 35-709 on August 21, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
The measurements for the ride heights and where to measure them from are in your shop manual.  I would start there and see just how much the springs are really sagging, if at all.
Quote from: 35-709 on August 21, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
Thank you G. I did find the measurement in the shop manual . minimum should be about 5  7/16  Mine is on the low around 5 5/8  with the gas tank filled and the trunk emptied . however the car looks like it is sitting OK . as a reference i measured the top of my fin . Both are 40 3/4   from the ground up . Lining up the tip of the fin with the center of taillight  as a plane .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Dan LeBlanc

Sounds like a lot of bother if the car rides fine to get 3/16" that nobody would ever notice.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jon S

5 5/8 is 5 10/16. Higher than 5 5/16. You are fine!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'm going to halfway hijack this thread.
What about lubing the springs? If I remember correctly the book says no lube necessary but after 60+ years they should need something. I just sprayed some silicone on mine when we woke her up. No squeeks. Should I use anything else?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dan LeBlanc

If you ever plan on getting the car painted, put that silicone lube away ASAP!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

newhauser

Hi,
I am toward the end  of rebuilding my rear suspension (57 s62).  One of my springs broke so I had about 2" of sag.  I ordered from Eaton and have been impressed with the quality of the springs and shackles.  Overall a good impression so far, but they are struggling with a few things.  Dry fitting revealed the front spring clamps were missing the nuts to secure the parking brake cable.  So I had to locate some oversize square nuts and tack weld them on.  The U bolts they sent were the wrong size (I am waiting for set #3 to arrive).  As for originality, it seems Eaton is good but spring clamps are modern, the spring liners are modern, the nuts they provide in the installation kit are modern (flange nuts instead of high nuts for the u bolts, for example).
So, what you could do is to have your springs serviced (new liners for example), put in new bushings and fasteners, and keep all the good parts to preserve originality.  I have no experience with judged competitions, so I'm not sure how much things like spring clamps matter.

The other thing I am realizing now is that I should have lined up someone to work on my rear end (leaking pinion seal).  If you go to the trouble of taking apart your rear suspension, and you have any differential issues, or if you just want to clean it up, this would be the opportune time. 

I am writing up an article on this whole experience that I will submit to the CLC newsletter.  In a few weeks I will have it done, baring any delays with getting the last the parts and final installation.  The research for the project and the writing of the article took about 3 to 4 times the amount of time the actual work has taken.

If you are not in a hurry, it might be worth the wait.  If anyone wants to volunteer to be a proof reader, let me know. 

Wayne Newhauser       

PS.  Someone mentioned lubricating the liners.  the originals were wax impregnated cloth liners and I believe I read somewhere they were not to be lubricated.  There is a piece in the Serviceman and there is another in the suppliment to the Serviceman.   I have not yet found out if replacement lines are available in the original style.  The fact that they last 60 years is high priase, indeed, for that type of liner.