News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacing ‘62 Hydramatic oil pan gasket

Started by rustytractor, August 21, 2018, 05:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

My gasket leaks so I pulled the pan off today and intend to fit a new gasket tomorrow. 

Not sure what gaskets are available in the US, over here my only option is FelPro.

Everyone seems to have a different technique for sealing pan gaskets - are there any recommendations what product or sealant (if any) to use to make it seal first time? Some people use a thin layer of sealant, others Vaseline or grease and some nothing so I thought I’d ask cadi guys how they do it.
Too many cars - too little time !!

The Tassie Devil(le)

My Auto Trans man uses vaseline.

In my case, seeing as whenever I have to seal a leaking trans, I put a slight smear of Loctite 5900 on the gasket, as this stuff is compatible with Auto Trans Fluid.   Not like a lot of RVT's.

Plus, whatever you use, NEVER spread too much on the gasket, as you don't want any residue that is squeezed out on the inside from coming off and getting into the trans internals.

Not really a problem with a trans that isn't going to be in use for a long time, as the stuff gets to set properly, but if one is going to immediately fill and use the trans, then any stuff that hasn't "gone off" could be "washed-off" by the oil.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Russell,
  Hi, Fel-Pro is a Great choice if available to you. No Gasket sealer is really needed on a trans pan gasket. Make sure your pan is FLAT first. Then take a flat stock piece of steel, dolly, etc. that fits within the rail, turn your pan upside down, and using your flat stock as a backer, re-peen those holes back flat the way they were when new. Keep checking to make sure your pan sits totally flat when done. I use a piece of 1/4" glass to sit it on. That's about a flat a surface as you can get. When you're done, install the gasket either dry, vaseline (as mentioned by Bruce), or a thin smear of grease. Do NOT overtorque the bolts! It's the #1 common mistake that causes leaks. Go easy, you can always tweak it. It takes very little to distort a pan. I've replaced many pans because they were just so far gone and twisted from ham-fisted mechanics thinking that tightening it down more is going to stop the leak. WRONG......
                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH