News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

84 Eldorado conv

Started by JCad84, August 21, 2018, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCad84

Fibre optics issue; does all wiring in regards to this system require that everything be connected to work? Or can things work independantly? For e.g., when you depress the outside door button the interior lights should stay on up to 20 secs., mine just go  right on  and off in a second. Halo light around door lock cylinder does not light.  Help would be appreciated, thanks.

76eldo

There is a timer relay in the illuminated entry circuit.  I am not sure where it is physically located in the car but there is one located somewhere.  That's what puts voltage out to the interior lights for a specified time after you depress the door button.  Sounds like yours is bad.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The lighting source for lock cylinder halo is from the door courtesy lamps via fiber optic cable. Over time the halo ring loses some of its transparency causing it to become faint. If the fiber optic cable is undamaged and the connection points are clean, the halo more or less has to work whenever the interior lights are activated (assuming the lamps in the door(s) are working).

In other words, the halos illuminate whether the interior lamps are turned on - either manually (with the headlight dimmer knob), if the illuminated entry system is triggered or if a door is simply opened.

Agreed with Brian's diagnosis on the relay timer.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

If the door panel has been removed at any time...it’s possible the cable was not refitted to the courtesy light housing.

STS05lg

Jack,

The timer relay for the illuminated entry that Brian mentioned for the full size Cadillacs 1974-1978 was located behind the kick panel on the drivers side floor next to the emergency brake. Failure of this relay is a common cause for the illuminated entry feature not working. (a very poor location for an electrical relay due to dirt and moisture) I am not sure if Cadillac was locating the relay in the same location in 1984 but it might be worth a look.

Lynn

JCad84

Dear Lynn, Brian and Eric,
Thanks for your quick replies and input to my problem. Much appreciated. I know that I have more and will be in touch again. I'm new at the site so if you experience any problems or shortcomings, you know why!
Regards,
Jack S. :

35-709

"I checked the crimes relay"

The what relay please?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2