News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 Eldorado/Rochester/ethanol mix fuel

Started by danjarrett1, August 23, 2018, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Installled a rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet about 8 months ago, car has been down for new top and carpet, basically...eight months. When I installed the rebuilt Carb, I was told the Carb should really need no further adjustment. Wanted to find a guy that knows quadrajets and this engine, thought I might have him look at timing and tweak this thing. Was refered to a guy that basically told me, if your Carb was rebuilt 9 months ago, it’s already trashed inside! When I inquired how that might happen, he said the ethanol mixture in gas ( almost impossible to find gas without ethanol) was never designed to be particularly carb friendly and that it eats up the seals, plunders and such. I run premium 93 octane, guess I could mix some 100 LL avgas in mine, I do have acccess to it, but obviously not a good long term solution. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? He basically said he wouldn’t even try to tweak it up.
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

76eldo

The carb kits made now are designed for the newer fuels.
If it got "trashed" inside and the gas  ate up gaskets and parts then he used an old kit.
I've had carbs rebuilt and my cars do a lot of sitting g and I have not had that issue at all.

You will have a bog or flat spot when you accelerate from a dead stop until the car it warmed up.
It's just the way these carbs run on today's fuel. 
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

danjarrett1

That’s what I was thinking! That’s for your input
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Jon S

My QJet on my 1981 Corvette (28,000 miles) has never been touched. I bought the car in 1983 and it has always (unfortunately) been subjected to Ethanol. The car is used once or twice per season and never a carburetor issue.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

Your carby is fine, just needs to be driven or was not re-built correctly (or there may be another problem).  Who would have their carby rebuilt every 6 months?  Like Greg is fond of saying, and boy is he right here, everyone blames the ethanol gas on things they cannot fix.

My quadrajets have been rebuilt years ago (at least five) and they run very well.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty