News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car show yesterday, what a blast!

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, August 26, 2018, 07:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You guys COULD NOT BELIEVE the cars that were there.... Yours truly was the only one flying the Cadillac flag. When I parked a show official brought my show bag/competitors pack to me so I didn't have to walk across the lot to the tent. The Ark is the rock star, not me. What a spot they parked us at, against the grass, chair under a tree and close to the food and porta potty, life couldn't get any better. And highly visible to passing traffic on route 134. I couldn't believe how good The Ark is running, its never been this good since I've owned it.

And NO its not for sale, this is a car show, not a used car lot...

I couldn't be any prouder of this car if it had won the Concours d'Elegance. The 1968-1970 "stock class" was won by a pristine '68 Shelby, well deserved. The judge came by, just long enough to check off #55 from his list, and he kept going. Its all good. There were so many in this 'stock' class that had been raised/lowered, halogen headlights, radials, 12V connectors quite visible, paint jobs way too shiny, Chip Foose wheels, etc... The Ark belongs in Cadillac shows, but these local shows are a great way for me to learn how to show a car. When the judge made his way up line I took my cue from a few other owners who were opening their trunks. I had emptied mine earlier and did the same. Several had their fire extinguishers positioned at the left front wheel, ditto. Little things.

I'm so grateful to Ryan Morrison, Michael Amster and Gary Amster for getting us there, there is no "I" in team, and it was definitely a team effort. I'm so thankful. And of course to Dave Taylor at Taylor Imaging: creative media design for sending me another edit for the showboard late Friday night when he's so busy on another BMW commercial. And it was great to see him in person at the show.

If there was an award for most photographed, The Ark would have won it. SO MANY people telling me of a parent, family member, friend from long ago who had 'that car'. I just hope those neuro pathways we blow the dust off of are positive for those effected.

I stayed until the last shot was fired in the awards ceremony, politely clapping for all the winners, then made my way back to The Ark for the trip home. Was I a little cranky? Of course, I know what its like to come home from a horse show with no ribbons and from a shooting competition with no trophy. There's a long road ahead of me and this isn't supposed to be a show car, its supposed to be a local cruiser, remember? Mhm...

Got back to The Ark and there's 7-8 people standing around it, they want to see the showboards, they've "told all their friends", etc. I want to go HOME. But, as Joe Stump always says "you sign every autograph, you pose for every picture". So, I smiled and opened up the trunk for the boards, hung out with these folks, let them take pics, etc.

Then the Gary Amster tuned 472cu, 375hp monster roared to life and roared out of there.

The Ark is back in its lair plugged in and sleeping, like I was all day today.

Seriously, this is just a *BLAST*! I can do without the heart attacks days prior to an event, but when its all said and done, and the car is on display and you finally get to sit down - its just so awesome. It is just, so cool.

Pics below of the show registration, The Ark, and me/Dave Taylor and The Ark.

If you're rehabbing/working on your Caddy, and you're having issues/delays or its months or years before your car will be 'right', trust me, it will be worth it at your first event. You'll forget about the heartache, the pot of gold under the rainbow is seeing your car standing proud, shiny and watching others drool over it, reminisce about one similar, and say to you "its beautiful". Trust me... stay the course.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

jaxops

A beautiful car.  I love the sedans.  You see so few of them at the shows now.  All the best..enjoy the rest of the summer!!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

quadfins

And this is why "display only" is so good. No pressure, just chat and schmooze with the spectators, let them reminisce, share the car, and enjoy the opportunity to bring some joy into other people's lives, if only for a little while.

Far more fulfilling than some cheap plastic "trophy".

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: jaxops on August 26, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
A beautiful car.  I love the sedans.  You see so few of them at the shows now.  All the best..enjoy the rest of the summer!!

Thank you Mark! Time runs short, The Ark comes off the road the 1st of October to begin the 1st phase of rehab.
Going to get the most I can out of these last few weeks.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: quadfins on August 26, 2018, 08:13:58 PM
And this is why "display only" is so good. No pressure, just chat and schmooze with the spectators, let them reminisce, share the car, and enjoy the opportunity to bring some joy into other people's lives, if only for a little while.

Jim

That depends on how many cheap plastic trophies you've won I guess.
Display is great, I can do at A&W every Wednesday night in Harwich, every Saturday night in Dennis and every other Thursday at Gillette Stadium. Drive/drag the car 1-2K miles for 'display'? Not.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Very nice. My two favorite Cadillac models are convertibles and Fleetwoods (60S and Broughams).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: quadfins on August 26, 2018, 08:13:58 PM

Jim

Jim,  I could not agree more.   I have felt for decades that even if I had a car worthy of being 'judged', I would not participate in that charade.   "The car IS my trophy."