News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Arethra Franklins hearse

Started by atime, August 28, 2018, 07:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

Looks like a 1940 LaSalle was used for Arethra Franklins funeral.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/28/entertainment/hearse-aretha-franklin/index.html
Has some very good history.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Well -- that's certainly going out in fine style.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

D.Smith

Friday the 31st will be the big Cadillac parade in her honor.  Can't wait to see the pics and video of that!

metalblessing

As a hearse enthusiast I thought this was pretty cool. The carved panel hearses are kinda hard to come by these days. When you do find them usually the panels are gone, since most the decor panels were hand carved wood.
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

jaxops

A beautiful hearse.  How did you like the gold casket...."can't take it with you, eh?"
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is only gold plated.   Like to see the vat they used to plate the casket.   Plus, it would have to have been either made out of steel or plastic to be able to be plated.

If it was steel, then may she rust in peace.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chuck Patton

Ladies & gentlemen

This is the owner O'Neil Swanson of Swanson Funeral Home (Established in 1958), Detroit, Michigan, with a few members of his fleet.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Rich S

More information about the "pink Cadillacs" for the funeral procession can be found in this article:

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/29/642871634/pink-cadillacs-will-line-up-for-aretha-franklin-s-funeral

Note:  Mr. Swanson's cars look great--thanks for the picture of them!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

metalblessing

Yeah they are nice, I see he also has a flower car. i would love to someday own an old flower car. The gold-plated casket though I cant help but think thats such a waste. I told my wife to just put me in a hefty bag.
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

Tim Cenowa

The casketis not gold plated.  However the hardware is.  The casket is polished bronze.
Tim Cenowa #17386

Maynard Krebs

Regarding hearses and caskets:

1.  I heard from a funeral director that Elvis wanted a solid-silver casket... but that there were only two in the world:  both owned by a funeral home owner in Providence, R. I... and would not sell.

2.  I'm told that Ford Motor Company looked all over the world for a Lincoln hearse.. when Henry Ford died, in 1947.   They could not find one---they used a (gasp!) a Packard!