News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

WOW! 1959 Eldorado projects sold for what!??

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, August 26, 2018, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

Here is one Vince just posted that needs a new home and I don't think you would have to do a lot.

Well other then write a check, a really BIG check..  :o :o :o :o :o

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=151578.0

But just think of all the time you would save in not having to do a lot of repairs, that is the up side.

Happy Motoring,

Lynn

The Tassie Devil(le)

One would think for the price being asked, the seller would have included a new roof and the cost of replacement. ;)

The engine bay seems to be pretty ordinary for only having travelled under 30,000 miles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

STS05lg

Bruce, its a 60 year old engine compartment, picky picky picky  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and if one has 195 large to drop on that car, I don't think the yellowed 60 year old convertible top will be a deal breaker...  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Oh if I only did have 195 large. 

It is all about, "they are only original once."

:) :) :) :)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Agree with Bruce on this one.  To ask about $200k
and have a convertible top in that shape?  That's
some major cojones.  The engine compartment
leaves a lot to be desired and raises questions.

I don't place any extra value on a vehicle just because
somebody claims is "all original".  Yes, that's nice, but
that car is going to need a thorough going over to
get it up to speed.  Mechanicals that sat for many
years with a 1959 birthday will need attention. 
Cosmetics will as well. 

He brags about going to ACCA meets -- but doesn't
mention winning anything.

Before you know it, you've just spent another $100k
and it's not even an Eldorado!

Just my opinion..........

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bobby B

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on August 28, 2018, 10:13:18 PM
get it up to speed.

I will agree that the car will need a good going over to be roadworthy, so throw your "originality factor" out the window. I will admit that looking at a time capsule is really cool and it's really an awesome reference point for the people restoring these cars. I would think that someone spending that kind of money on it is going to leave it just the way it is, and possibly not even drive it. Make no sense to me, but knock yourself out if you have that kind of coin to sit on. For that money, I wanna drive something and enjoy it.....
                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

novetti

The paint looks way to shiny without any blemishes for me. Must be a repaint.

54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

59-in-pieces

OK, I'm going to pile-on too.

Although, I'm also the first guy to defend a 59, BUT not this car - at that price, not even close.

The most jump off the page item: the car may have been Semenole Red in the beginning (based on the Data Tag), but the Semenole Red on this car is faded out (or a re-spray as suggested), and matching the real color (Code #50) is a bear-cat, trust me on this.

The original posting of this car did say it won a AACA Historic Preservation Award - but I'm not familiar with what the criteria are to judge this car a winner - maybe it's an easy class ????? - and I don't feel it translates or contributes that much into the asking price.

Have fun - and save your money for the next one.
Steve B.

S. Butcher

STS05lg

Steve, I am not knowledgeable at all about 59's other then their prices have gone through the roof. But I do know Vince and he would not write anything that is misleading or false. I just put the post up to compare this one to those rusted out parts cars that were going for a small fortune. Just to get the conversation going.
To answer you question about the AACA, here is the best way to picture their judging standards. Think of a room full of Bill Anderson's and you would get a pretty good idea of their standards. I have seen them knock off point because an electric connection under the hood was white instead of bone colored...  :o  :o

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In all my years of following Cadillacs and the old car hobby I've only seen a handful of original '59 convertibles this well preserved, and none were in colors as desirable.

Considering what restored '59 Series 62 convertibles sell for, I don't think the asking price is at all unreasonable.

I can see no reason to question the paint's originality based on pictures. A friend had an all original 1960 Buick convertible whose paint looked just as good. The color was near identical to Seminole Red. 

That top isn't going to stop anybody who appreciates what that car is.  Personally I wouldn't touch it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gkhashem

About the Series 62 red convertible.

Who said it was not road worthy? Did I miss it in the description. They drove it a few times each year.

Also that engine compartment looks the part for a 59 year old or maybe 60 year old car. Get under there and clean it up a bit and marvel at something in car terms that money can't buy. (of course we are talking about money) But this is not just another restored car and one that may be restored incorrectly. How many convertibles are left like this?

Everyone is used to looking at so called originals that have been painted. I wold not turn up my nose at the engine compartment as long as it purrs like a kitten. Imagine how nice the car rides, how tight the steering may be. Yes I know it may rattle some since it is a convertible but maybe not. Sorry but the geometry of the car has not been messed up by a "ground up", "frame off" restoration. If I had money to burn I would rather have this car than a restored show perfect one, any day any time. Just my opinion but there are many collectors out there like me.

Now you may argue about the price but try finding a convertible in this condition that appears original. Its seems the original cars and not show car perfect cars are very hot now.

If this was an Eldorado Biarritz they would want $300K plus and guess what I bet they might get it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Vince Taliano #13852

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on August 28, 2018, 10:13:18 PM
Agree with Bruce on this one.  To ask about $200k
and have a convertible top in that shape?  That's
some major cojones.  The engine compartment
leaves a lot to be desired and raises questions.

get it up to speed.  Mechanicals that sat for many
years with a 1959 birthday will need attention. 
Cosmetics will as well. 

He brags about going to ACCA meets -- but doesn't
mention winning anything

Before you know it, you've just spent another $100k
and it's not even an Eldorado!

Just my opinion..........

Mike

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: STS05lg on August 29, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
To answer you question about the AACA, here is the best way to picture their judging standards. Think of a room full of Bill Anderson's and you would get a pretty good idea of their standards. I have seen them knock off point because an electric connection under the hood was white instead of bone colored...  :o  :o

Actually doesn't answer the question at all about AACA HPOF judging in this thread. "The Historical Preservation of Original Features program encourages owners of vehicles 25 years old or older, to maintain significant original features in this original condition, and to show them at National Meets.  These vehicles will not be point judged."

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

STS05lg

Chuck, I was just making a little attempt at humor in that the AACA has pretty tough standards. Gee people always take things literally. And i did see three AACA judges spend 20 minutes fighting over if the electrics connector should white or bone, bone won. So you will know, they have not started cloning people yet so please don't thing there is more then one Bill.  ;D  ;D Best Lynn don't take everything so serious...

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 29, 2018, 02:47:01 PM
I can see no reason to question the paint's originality based on pictures. A friend had an all original 1960 Buick convertible whose paint looked just as good. The color was near identical to Seminole Red. 

'60 Buick Tampico Red is actually the same color.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I'd like to go back to that original auction if I can.

Here is the list of sales in order from high to low....as to final price.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=147926&ipp=100&sort=5&lr=1535628820160

The 59 Seville for $16,500 is big money for the condition.......have you ever seen a hood rust like that?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Bobby B

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on August 30, 2018, 03:34:23 AM
The 59 Seville for $16,500 is big money for the condition.......have you ever seen a hood rust like that?

Actually......NO! What parts are useable on that car, and who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for that? We need names now  >:D.........
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

Vince listed the car for an owner with lesser computer skills and had no control over the price.  If anyone is serious, they should look at the car and drive it, then make judgements.  We have read many times how difficult it is to make an accurate judgement over the internet.

The original post was on these junk yard 59 EBZ and the high prices, which I agree they are not economically feasible.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Bobby B on August 30, 2018, 06:58:58 PM
Actually......NO! What parts are useable on that car, and who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for that? We need names now  >:D.........
                                                                                              Bobby

LOL!!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

59-in-pieces

Ok.
Who among you - 59 or 60 guys - believe that the $850 for that dash and Electronic-eye (tube) is real.
NO, I think that I must have passed over into the Twilight Zone.
Many of those auction prices stretch credibility - and that ain't sour grapes.
Unless, the buyers have extremely advantageous currency exchange rates
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 30, 2018, 07:46:29 PM
Vince listed the car for an owner with lesser computer skills and had no control over the price.  If anyone is serious, they should look at the car and drive it, then make judgements.  We have read many times how difficult it is to make an accurate judgement over the internet.

The original post was on these junk yard 59 EBZ and the high prices, which I agree they are not economically feasible.

I fully realize that Vince was just listing the car as he's done many others.
My commments as to pricing and other details were directed at the seller,
not at all toward Vince.  Obviously, the seller sets the price.

By the way Vince, if I offended you with my remarks that was certainly not
my intent.  The discussion was about the car and the seller.  My apologies.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region