News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The 70 has been delivered...a sneak peek at what followed me home

Started by Dan LeBlanc, August 26, 2018, 10:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

After 9 long hours on the road yesterday and today to deliver the 70, here's a little teaser on what followed me home...
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Looks like a black '77 to me, guys. I like the '79 better, but it's still #3 in the group of the absolute best Cadillacs ever to come down the pike. You won't regret it!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

D.Smith

I know what's on the trailer!      I spoke with the buyer of your 70 yesterday and he is thrilled with the convertible!   Looks like a good deal for both of you guys.   

I was all over the one you just picked up at the DC Grand National.  That is an amazing car too!   I am envious!

Congrats Dan! 

Dan LeBlanc

Barry . . . how in the world can you tell from that one small little tidbit of what you can see of the car that it's a 77?  For me, I have to look at the taillights to determine 77.  For 78-79, I have to look inside.  I don't know how to tell the difference otherwise.

Dave . . . yes, Rick told me he knew you and I got to tell you that he was like a kid in a candy store yesterday morning when we pulled up with the 70 on the trailer.  I had her as fresh out of the wrapper as she could be, dialed in to perfection mechanically.
Dan LeBlanc

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1979 has a taller header molding (above the grille) so that eliminates 1979. Cadillac script appears on the (painted) header panel is 1978 only so it's not that either. That leaves 1977.  ;)

Beautiful car Dan. Best of luck with it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Now that I'm somewhat awake - and I use that term loosely operating about 1h40m of sleep before I had to come into work, let me tell you about the new find.

As you all know, I had listed the 70 on eBay and tried to make a deal involving a trade on the red 78 Coupe de Ville in New Jersey and then the seller disappeared, only to re-appear as another bidder on the 70 the second time I listed it.  Here's where you never underestimate the power of social media when selling a car.  I had posted a link to the eBay auction on several Cadillac groups on Facebook.  Within minutes, I had an enquiry.  “Did you buy this car from a chap in New Jersey? If so, I have his 77 Fleetwood Brougham.”  My reply - are you talking about Al?  He said, yes and that he was trying to buy the 70 when it was for sale but I had already made a deal on it before he did.  Of course, when this triple black 77 Fleetwood Brougham â€" with Astro Roof â€" was listed for sale, I immediately started lusting over it and it started making me rethink the convertible purchase as at that time, I was already figuring out that I was not a convertible person.  So, we cut right to the chase â€" I knew what he had, he knew what I had, and they both came from the previous owner.  After a little back and forth, a deposit was made, more money exchanged hands, customs paperwork was done, and ownership documents crossed the table.   So, Farrah is on her way to her new home in DC and the 77 is now nestling comfortably in my garage awaiting detailing.

Now all about the 77 â€" we haven’t named her yet.  We’re down to Gloria or Donna.  She is a triple black 77 Fleetwood Brougham with just over 37,000 miles.  Both the NJ title from Al and the DC title from Rick the new owner are marked original miles and the car sure drives like it.  Al was the second owner purchasing the car from the widow of the original owner in 2011.  From there, anything mechanical it needed, it got.  Condition-wise, the car is comparable to my former 61 Fleetwood when I got it â€" paint needs to be massaged to make it near perfect, under the hood needs a really good cleaning, and the interior needs to be cleaned up.  The car is equipped with a factory CB which we have no use for so it will be replaced with an 8-track player (we have a collection of nearly 200 8-tracks), and of course, the clock needs to be taken out, cleaned, and lubricated, and the driver’s seat transmission will need new grease.  Overall, a good detailing, a few minor bugs to sort, and a new set of tires with the right white wall width will go a very long way on this car.  Other than that, there’s an old repair on the driver’s side quarter panel that’s not up to snuff with the rest of the car that I’ll have redone.  Unfortunately, I’ll have to get into the painted pinstripe in getting the quarter panel redone, however, I have found a proper pinstriper near me that can take care of restoring the pinstripe.  I haven’t decided whether or not I will just have that section of the pinstripe redone or the whole car re-striped in red.  I know, first world problems.

Hopefully, I’ve found the long distance touring car I’ve been looking for â€" first impressions are it’s quiet, comfortable, capable of long distance driving with ease, and very agile despite only having driven it about 10 miles.  This winter will be the time to get it up to my standards.  So, here she is . . . these are photos that were provided by others as I haven’t had time to do a photo shoot yet.  That will come in the spring when everything is complete.

PS: There's an EG classics Rolls Royce style grille, brand new in the trunk.  Obviously I have no interest in installing it, but is there any value in these things?  I'd sell the grille, but have no idea if they're even worth anything.
Dan LeBlanc

Scot Minesinger

Dan,

Glad it all worked out for you.  Really happy that another 1970 Cadillac DVC will be in our region (I live in DC metro area).  That 1977 Cadillac Fleetwood is beautiful, and those seats are to die for.

You just cannot go wrong buying any Cadillac from the 1970's decade - all were well made with large powerful V-8's, excellent road manners, and style.  The same could be said for the 1950's and 1960's too I guess.

Enjoy and keep us posted,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Dan, the '79 has been to Des Moines, Savannah, KC, and at least one trip to VA for a soccer match. Turn the key and go. Lovely car! You'll be lucky if the clock doesn't "growl." Our '78 did that all the time. The E&G I'd put on eBay to help with some of the expenses you'll have. There are some that like them.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 27, 2018, 08:35:24 AM
1979 has a taller header molding (above the grille) so that eliminates 1979. Cadillac script appears on the (painted) header panel is 1978 only so it's not that either. That leaves 1977.  ;)

Beautiful car Dan. Best of luck with it.

I learned something new today.
Dan LeBlanc

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

Congratulations, Dan.  Good to have you bank in the Fleetwood fold!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

gkhashem

Dan

Fantastic triple black! A luxurious looking car.

Do yourself a favor and check the blower motor relay, I had mine go out on Friday. I had no blower.  The relay was a little warm and was starting to melt some. (the relay and the block)

I pulled it and replaced it. Took care of the issue, but I am not yet sure if it was the relay or the relay block. This was a potential fire issue in the day. It will take you five minutes to make sure all looks well under the dash.

Eric may chime in on this issue since he knows these cars well.

Good luck and enjoy.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

6caddy2

Absuloutly STUNING Cadillac Dan!!!! WOW!!! Good call, she should do very well on the long distance trips for you! Enjoy! Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

STS05lg

Dan, beautiful car. Congratulations on getting the one you wanted. Though I hope next summer you do not miss your outstanding convertible. Oh, one point, I remember when these cars were new there was a real issue with those rocker power window switches. Be sure if you have any small children riding in the car that you use the master cut off switch to lock out the individual window controls. What would happen is a small child would be standing on the arm rest with their head out the window and the window would go up when their foot hit the rocker switch, resulting in a bad outcome. Cadillac quickly went back to the power window switches they had been using for years. I don't think there was a recall but it was a different time. Again, congratulations. Lynn

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks everybody for the kind words.  I go out to the garage every morning to get my frozen meal for lunch and the past few mornings, I just stop and stare.  I've been late for work every morning this week.

She's dirty right now having spent two days on an open trailer travelling up from DC.  This weekend, I hope to get better acquainted with her.
Dan LeBlanc

Series75

You point out a distinction that CLC enthusiasts share.  We can admire our new acquisitions with the same degree of pride and awe as if it were fresh off the showroom floor, brand new just like the original owner did.  We can envision the result of corrections we'll make before we lift a finger.   When all is done and the final result is admired, we ask ourselves how it all got done.  Answer:  Passion.   

Scot Minesinger

Yes, agree with comments on admiring these classics and appreciating them as if they were new in the day. 

The thrill remains strong after 13 years and 43 k miles on my red 1970 Cadillac DVC.  Yesterday during my top down drive, got numerous comments and conversations at the stop light, and they did not even know it is a perfect running 472 high compression powered Cadillac with working climate control - they just admired the condition.  I still cannot believe I own it.  You always know you got a great car that way.  Felt the same way about my 1995 RWD Fleetwood, best daily driver ever.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty