News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Convertible Power Seat Inoperative

Started by jdkskyking, August 30, 2018, 09:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdkskyking

Help needed.

I have a 1976 Eldorado Convertible with a split bench seat with six way power.

The seat is Inoperative. I do not have power to the seat relay.

Can anyone tell me where the power originates from? It is supplied with a large Orange/Black wire.

I have found a relay in the engine compartment that is mounted on the right side of the firewall. It also has a Orange/Black wire attached. The Orange/Black wire does not appear to be powered but the relay does have power via a Redwire.

I have reviewed the maintenance manual and body manual but cannot find where the power originates. There is a circuit breaker in the fuse block that apparently powers the power seats.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
JK

cadillactim

Fusible link from starter to fuse box. Fuse box fuse to seat relay. If no power at fuse box fuse/circuit breaker, then check for bad fusible link. If power at fuse, check for broken wire to relay.

Tim
Tim Groves

jdkskyking

It appears to me that there is a CB in the left fuse block that provides protection to several systems so I know the CB is good. I’m assuming there is a control wire from that CB that goes to a relay large enough to handle the load from the seats. Power must go to the seats from that relay. Then.... each seat has its own relay for operation.
I guess I need to check into the relay I found on the firewall.

Thanks for the feedback.
JK

cadillactim

The seats typically get power from the BODY fuse, which has power even with the key off. Never seen the seats get main power from a relay, that's what the individual relays under the seat are for, to carry the heavy current.

Tim
Tim Groves

jdkskyking

The relay in engine compartment is for the AC blower motor.

I checked the power in and out of CBs in fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel column. All looked good.

I need to figure out where the wire runs to the seat area. May need to pull up the carpet to inspect.

I’m going to pull the seats and inspect what I can with seat mechanisim. I good cleaning is definately needed.

I did find a large ground wire that was not attached.

I could see a cut in one of the Orange/Black power wires.

These days I can only contort my body for a short period of time working under the dash...

Thanks again for the help.
JK