News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gasket issues on a '47 Fuel Pump

Started by Justin Norwood, September 05, 2018, 08:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Norwood

Hello everyone!

I've been noticing that the fuel pump on my '47 Flathead has air bubbles in it, and I decided to replace its gasket. I ordered a gasket from Caddy Daddy (or somewhere like that), and received a cork one. What was interesting is that the cork gasket that I received fits INSIDE of the glass bowl...which means that the glass bowl simply seals directly on to the metal fuel pump...which doesn't work (it leaks). See my first picture for how the cork gasket fits on my bowl.

The second picture is the "original" gasket that was on the car. I doubt that it is actually "original" but it looks like it is normal gasket material (not cork) and perhaps is handmade...and it fits at the BOTTOM of the glass bowl, in between the glass and the metal fuel pump...which makes more sense to me.

Can anyone please advise me as to how this gasket is supposed to work? Did I get the wrong gasket sent to me???

Thanks in advance,
-Justin
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Jeff Hansen

Justin,

Cork is the proper material for that gasket.

Based on your photos, I question whether you have the correct glass bowl for your pump - and maybe even more importantly, if you have the correct pump.

Can you show us a photo of the glass bowl installed on the pump?  If memory serves (I'm not at home currently), the glass bowl should fit inside the outer rim of the pump body and not rest on top of it.  Do you have a dimension for the width of glass bowl?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Justin Norwood

Jeff,
You make an interesting observation! Perhaps I have a different fuel pump???

To answer your questions:
1) the inside diameter of my bowl seems to be 2 1/8”

2) the bowl fits INSIDE the fuel pump perfectly.

Imaged are attached.

Any idea of how I can assess whether this is the proper fuel pump or not? Perhaps it is from a different year???

Thanks
-Justin

Steve Passmore

Yes, you have the wrong gasket there Justin.  Some pumps have smaller bowls. I have no idea which pump your car should have? that's not to say you have the wrong one and it doesn't matter if you did, as long as it works but you just need a bigger gasket.  As its virtually unavailable over here I usually make my own gaskets.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

On the suction side gas will evaporate and appear to be air bubbles depending on temperature and amount
of suction. If there is no leakage that may be your problem?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jim Miller

I purchased cork gaskets from Cadillac Parts Ltd. Call him 856-753-6788. They have the parts.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Bobby B

Quote from: revvies on September 05, 2018, 08:20:29 AM
Hello everyone!
Q: A. I've been noticing that the fuel pump on my '47 Flathead has air bubbles in it, and I decided to replace its gasket.
Q: B. Can anyone please advise me as to how this gasket is supposed to work? Did I get the wrong gasket sent to me???

A: Answer..... Air bubbles have nothing to do with the original gasket unless it was leaking all over. Trapped air, usually from Dreaded Flathead Vapor lock. One million and one threads on the forum regarding this, and how to avoid it.

B: Answer....See Steve's Post. Yes it's the wrong gasket, and you could just make your own out of cork casketing material from your local parts store.
                                                               Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Hansen

Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

I concur with the others: you appear to have the wrong gasket.

Sorry, for any scare about an incorrect pump!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Justin Norwood

Thanks guys. I was able to source the right gasket from BEST