News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Antique Car Insurance

Started by Jay Friedman, September 04, 2018, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

This topic has been covered in general numerous times on the forum, but I have a specific question.  My '49 has been insured with Hagerty for a number of years to my complete satisfaction.  I've only made one small claim for a tow truck which was promptly paid. 

I've heard that Grundy is an equally good company and, while I have no particular reason to change, I was wondering if any one who knows more about insurance than I do would advise me to switch to Grundy.  Or not.

I do drive the car somewhat for "pleasure", which Hagerty permits.  (Meaning not only to club events and car shows.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If you are still wondering, call me at my phone number in the directory and I will give you my opinion and experience.

How is your 1949 Coupe doing? I love that car!

TonyZappone #2624

Jay, I have been with JC Taylor for 54 years, just about the time they started the agency.  They are a family owned agency, and very easy to work with.  Bob Wallace is the principal, son of the founder, Richard.  I have had one very large claim, when acid rain ruined the old lacquer on my '31 Pierce.  $22,000 repaint was taken care of.  Very nice to work with on the phone, once they know you, all the garaging, reasonable personal use etc, is not questioned.  Give them a shot.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

savemy67

Hello Jay,

While I don't know the company profiles of the major classic car insurers, I do know that many insurers (of all types of insurance) are re-insured, and or underwritten by larger companies.  In addition to premiums, coverage, and service, one ought to research the financial muscle behind any classic car insurer.  This can be done through public records, or by corresponding with the principles of privately held companies.  Longevity is a positive indicator, but further research could be beneficial in the long run.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

D.Smith

I use Infinity too.  Very reasonable rates.   No hassle claim on a windshield replacement too. They paid the vendor directly.