News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 start up direction

Started by jims427400, September 07, 2018, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims427400

So I've got the 67 Deville 429 almost ready to fire up. Work done consists of:
-Fuel pump
-Water Pump
-PS pump
-Fuel filter
-All new rubber fuel lines(front and back)
So do I just crank it over till I get fuel to carb or should I help it along some how?

Jim

The Tassie Devil(le)

What i do is to pour small amounts of petrol straight into the carby and hit the starter.

Might take a couple of attempts, but it will run for really short times, until the fuel pump fills the carby.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Don't hold the can of petrol close to the carby when cranking as you don't want a backfire igniting the contents of the can.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello James,

If the car has been sitting for a few weeks, you may want to consider cranking the engine with the ignition grounded so the car won't start (your battery must be in top condition).  This will get the oil circulating a bit.

The attached photo shows how I start my '67 after a period of several weeks or months of dormancy, after getting oil pressure to the gauge.

I put an ounce or two of gas in a beaker.  I connect a small funnel and a bit of clear tubing to the fuel bowl vent stack.  The tubing should fit tightly to both the funnel and the vent stack.  I pour some of the gas from the beaker into the funnel, and remove the set-up from the carb.  I reconnect the ignition, press the gas pedal once to engage the choke, and start the car.

Your post indicates several replaced components to the fuel system, so your fuel line, pump, and filter may be completely dry.  If this is the case, you may want to disconnect the fuel line form the carb fuel inlet, direct the open end of the line to a catch-can, ground the ignition, and crank the car so the engine will get the fuel pump to draw gas from the tank and push it through the filter.  Again, your battery must be in top condition.  Reconnect everything and start the car.

If you don't want to do the second procedure, you may need to use the first procedure more than once, as the gas in the fuel bowl will be consumed before the engine and fuel pump have had enough time to pull/push gas through the line to the carb.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

jims427400

Christopher
Can you explain how you ground the ignition please. The fuel lines are dry all the way back to the tank and I like your idea of pumping some oil first.

Thanks,
Jim

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to stop the engine firing is to remove the coil to distributor lead.

But if you want to crank it over fast without putting strain on the starter motor is to remove the Spark Plugs, so there is no compression, or excess pressure on the bearings, especially the Big-end bearings.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello James,

To ground the ignition without removing any wires, I connect a jumper wire from the negative terminal on the coil (the terminal with the wire going to the distributor) to a bolt on the engine block.  I use a 14 gauge stranded conductor with alligator clips on both ends.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

jims427400

Thanks all, I'll ground the ignition and keep the plugs out..