News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 429 w/ A/C PS belt set up picture please

Started by jims427400, September 07, 2018, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims427400

Can someone post a picture that shows how my belts should be run? I neglected to take a picture of that. I have 3 belts to run.
Thank you,
Jim

Julien Abrahams

Unfortunately i do not have a picture, but i did have a look atthe shop manual. I will try to explain as clearly as possible. If your car has an AIR punp, then the first sheave of the crankshafg pulley has a belt that goes to the air pump.
The second sheave of the crankshaft pulley has the belt that goes over the first sheave of the water pump pulley, and the AC pulley. A belt goes around the third sheave of the crankshaft and the second sheave of the waterpump pulley and connects to the power steering. The lastbelt goes from the third sheave of the waterpump pulley to the generator. Finally: first is towards the front of the car. Here i found a picture:. https://www.google.nl/search?q=cadillac+429+belt+arrangement&oq=cadillac+429+belt+arrangement&aqs=chrome..69i57.7371j0j8&client=tablet-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=TxIsmqzcn0pRHM:
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

jims427400

Julien
Thank you, I do not have an air pump system on my car.. I did find a pic of an engine that showed the first groove closest to engine going to the alternator, middle going to PS pump and the third going to the AC compressor. Maybe someone here can confirm that.

Jim

DeVille68

here you go:

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Scot Minesinger

The 1967 Cadillac is much different than the 1968 in consideration that the 67 has a 429 engine w/adj mount for compressor, and the 1968 Cadillac has the 472 with intake solid mount compressor with ps as idler pulley and it also has an air pump (unlike a 67).

Use the 1967 shop manual.  You probably could go on e-bay and look at an under-hood picture of a 1967 Cadillac and figure it out.  The belt for the ac is difficult to get installed (due to small adjustment - has to be fairly tight), and unfortunately you have to be careful and install a very high quality belt or it will slip and make a noise.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jims427400

Thanks to all and Nicolas for the pictures. I'll have to line up the alternator and the PS pump to figure out which grooves to use on the 3 groove pulleys..

Jim