News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where do I get a fuel pump filter for a non a/c 68 Deville?

Started by chicago1, September 03, 2018, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicago1

I tried the search function and nothing came up I had 0 hits. I tried different verbiage and I get way to many things not relating to what I need.I know these are the p/n With Air Conditioning - AC type GF440, GM #5651533
Without Air Conditioning - AC type GF439, GM #5651532.

I searched but find nothing and I called a few places like autozone,napa, etc and they don't have anything either.  So where do you guys buy them from? heck I can even find the a/c ones on ebay which are the hard ones to find but not the non a/c..Thanks I'm sure it's something simple I am missing   

TJ Hopland

Is it just the lack of a return nipple?  Are you going for judging authenticity?   If not I suspect you could just cap off the return nipple.   People do that all the time with the fuel pumps.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chicago1

No its just a daily far from anything I would put in a show. The thing is there isn't a fuel pump filter in it at all now. . Previous owner used a 1971-76 Cadillac Fuel Pump To Carburetor Line (500 4-BBL DeVille) to connect to the fuel pump which i didn't know at the time. That line broke so I ordered a new one and when I got the new line I thought they sent me the wrong one because it was so short and didn't look like the line I just took off.  I come to find out the line that I took off was incorrect and there should be a filter between the carb and pump. If had the filter on the car like it should be that new line would fit like it's supposed to. I'm to the point where I am just going to order another 72 eldorado line and cut it and add a filter because i can't find a non a/c fuel pump filter. I can find the a/c one which is supposed to be the hard one to find. So any help locating one would be appreciated. and not sure why the call it "fuel pump to carb line" because the carb line goes to the fuel filter first not the pump.

Daryl Chesterman

These people show they have one for $45.  I would call them to verify they have it and it is the correct one.  Looks like it has 5/16 female inverted flair fittings on each end, and is an AC GF439.

https://www.eleosmarket.xyz/filters-c-1_196_1048/rare-1968-nos-cadillac-original-ac-fuel-filter-wo-air-gf439-eldorado-gm-5651532-p-7840.html

Good Luck!
Daryl Chesterman

cadillacmike68

There is One on fleabay at present:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-Cadillac-Deville-Fleetwood-Eldorado-Calais-472-Carburator-Fuel-Filter-w-A-C/302620504653?hash=item467596724d:g:UbsAAOSwLgNab1bK

$65. I thought I saw one for non-AC cars yesterday, but it's gone...

Yes there was. A completed listings search shows there it, AND one for AC cars that sold for less than $18.  :o

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cadillac+%2868%2C+1968%29+fuel+filter&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=33543&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_fosrp=1

BTW, AC-Delco part # GF439 is correct for non-AC cars and GF440 is the one for cars with Climate Control.

There are a lot of ads for a GF441 which looks like a miniature air filter, but That filter is not used in 1968 at all (I think). at least I never saw a reference to it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jaxops

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

bcroe

I thought the difference is a third small fuel line, to circulate some
back through the tank to cool things and avoid vapor lock.  I value the
extra margin and have just added the return line along with the AC
pump.  This in some cases when increasing the engine displacement. 
Bruce Roe

chicago1

Wow thanks guys!!! Ill order one here shortly but looks like the previous owner put a 69+ fuel pump in the car and used a 72+ Eldorado carb to fuel filter line. The filter is in the fuel pump which is NOT how it's supposed to be on the 68. I'm finding all types of weird crap they did to this car.