News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 ELDORADO Axle Shaft replacement - need part confirmation

Started by Christophe2m6, September 12, 2018, 04:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christophe2m6

Hi!

I would need a confirmation concerning the following part.
I need to replace my front left axle shaft for my 1972 CADILLAC ELDORADO Convertible.

I made some research, and I'm almost sure that it will fit.
But could you please confirm it to me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Axle-Shaft-New-Front-Left-Right-SurTrack-GM-8111/292662069668

Thanks a lot!
Chris
Chris - France
*1972 Cadillac Eldorado - 500ci
*1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - 350ci
*1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6 - 173ci

Christophe2m6

Chris - France

Glen

All I can tell you is that looks like the axle shafts used in the ’68 through ’74 (and maybe later, my parts manual only goes to 1974)  I don’t have any measurements. 

IIRC there was a thread on this forum where someone got a replacement axle shaft that used a different size axle nut.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

My question is... what kind of quality can you expect for $88 post paid??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I will try and dig out my spare shafts and measure them for you.

When I was trying to buy replacement shafts from NAPA in 2008, before departing USA, they were constantly sending me the wrong ones.   I gave up in the end.

Not sure what they were for, but the diameters and lengths were wrong.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

JohnnyRockit

Chris,

Did you ever get the correct CV shaft?

If not I may have an extra one...I ordered a pair for my '78 Eldorado and only ended up using one since the other boot was in good shape. (1972 & 1978 use the same shaft).

You can have it for shipping cost if you want it...pretty sure it's a Duralast Gold from Autozone. The other one installed easily and worked perfectly.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll verify if I still have it in the garage.

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

TJ Hopland

Autozone was where I got a new shaft last year that was a different design and used a different nut (which was included) than the originals.   Its been fine so far.   I do remember them having more than one option and I took that one because it was the one that was in stock at the regional distribution center.   The other options would have taken days to get. 

I think 66/67 were the only years that were slightly different, perhaps the flange size?   Otherwise through 78 were all the same.   Originally the L and R were different because one had a dampener in it.    Length and everything else was the same so aftermarket and eventually the factory dropped the one with the damper on it and started selling the same one for both sides.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Christophe2m6

Thanks a lot for all your help guys!!
Really appreciate it!
Chris - France

Christophe2m6

Hi Johnny,

Sent you a PM ;)

Thanks!

Quote from: JohnnyRockit on September 15, 2018, 10:05:01 PM
Chris,

Did you ever get the correct CV shaft?

If not I may have an extra one...I ordered a pair for my '78 Eldorado and only ended up using one since the other boot was in good shape. (1972 & 1978 use the same shaft).

You can have it for shipping cost if you want it...pretty sure it's a Duralast Gold from Autozone. The other one installed easily and worked perfectly.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll verify if I still have it in the garage.

Johnny
Chris - France