News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speakers for 77 FW

Started by Dan LeBlanc, September 12, 2018, 09:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Ok, I know the fronts are 4" x 6" and the rears are 6" x 9", but I'm getting conflicting information as to whether they should be 4, 8, or 10 ohm with a factory head unit.  My car has new speakers, but I want to make sure they're of the correct resistance as to not damage the factory head unit.  Anybody have any info on this?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

8 ohms will be close enough but I wouldn't recommend using anything less.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Eric.  I'll pull the new installed ones to see what's in there before I hook up the 8 track player.

It seems the chap in NJ who had the car seems to have the same regimen with all his cars as the repair bills I got with the car are almost identical in scope of work.  I'll bet they're 4 ohm just like they were in the 70.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

gkhashem

As I remember 4 ohm is not a good choice for a 1960s to early 70s radio. They could damage the head unit. So I would go with the 8 ohm also.

Not entirely sure about later 70s radio but I think it is the same.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)