News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Calais 429 Oil Dipstick Tube?

Started by Gearheadmike, September 15, 2018, 01:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearheadmike

I just bought a 66 Cadillac Calais 4DR HDT 429  for $500  wasn't started in little over 2 years little gas in carb it fired right up and idled good.   
   Upon inspecting the engine over  in the driveway i noticed what looks to be a aftermarket oil dipstick tube and dipstick. I pulled it to check oil  and its maybe 8-10 inches long and it's one of those cut to length ones. Of course it doesn't read oil on it do to being to short. 

Does anyone know where i can find the right  tube and dipstick to fit this.
Mike

Flyer

Mike- My 1967 Eldo came with the wrong tube also. My dip stick showed I needed to add a quart of oil when in fact I knew the correct amount was in the engine. My Mechanic calculated the length that the tube needed to be and cut that amount from the tube so the dipstick registers correctly. Several places sell the tubes and dipsticks on line such as USA Parts and OPGI. They want upwards of $100 bucks for their stuff. Check your local parts store for a replacement and get one big enough to work. Cut down If necessary and paint to match.  Other folks also had some good ideas about this so search the forum a little for another solution that might suit you better.  Good Luck.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
I have a couple of 429 dipsticks I bought for my '66 BEFORE I found out why they always bent up as soon as I started the motor.  The dip stick tube is inserted from the outside of the block and then after it is fully inserted, the inside end is bent inward and to the rear to aim the dipstick away from moving parts.  If you want the dipstick, PM me.  As far as the tube is concerned you are going to have to drop the oil panto remove and properly replace the tube.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillactim

There were two different tubes/dipstick used. One was 3/8 the other 7/16. The 3/8 dipstick has the "hood" that slides over tube. The 7/16 has a flat cap that firs flush with the flared end tube. They are not interchangeable.

I don't have the dipstick, but do make reproduction tubes.

Tim
Tim Groves

Jon Hunter

Greg, unfortunately I found that out also! That may be why the short stick is there.

Mike, get a longer dipstick and change the oil to verify the correct level. Make a file mark if not at the full line. If you hear it hitting the crankshaft, put the short one back in and place the longer on on the firewall unless you want to drop the oil pan.
Jon Hunter
Lifetime Member
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2005 Deville
2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

What I did for a while after I found out the reason for bending the stics wah that I kept the dip stick in the trunk and checked the oil with the motor off.  If there is interference between the stick and moving parts, it will twist the stick immediately.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Gearheadmike

I'm cleaning the trunk and i found a aftermarket/universal chrome dipstick tube. I'm thinking it didn't fit so they just used the stick and cut it?
the chrome stick is in it now but looks like it was cut way short.   

I'm almost sure this engine has been removed at one time and refreshed/built or idk.

Here's a pic of the tube that's in it now.

On a side note anyone know  what these are and if they go to the Cad i found them in the trunk.
Mike

Mike,
Those look like brake line fittings.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, Banjo bolts for retaining the flexible brake hose to the Disc Brake Caliper.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gearheadmike

hmm i believe this car has 4 wheel drum brake maybe there off another parts car?
Mike